RIFLE

mon-goose

If you could buy only one rifle for precision range shooting and maybe long range hunting which caliber would it be?

I don’t have loads of cash so I’ll probably only realistically be able to get one more rifle in the collection. I have a 270 for hunting and a .22 for playing around. Would like to get into the precision shooting scene and maybe do one or two competitions. I’m torn between a few calibers. The 6.5 creedmore, 7mm or 300. I would need something that has a longish barrel life and also isn’t super expensive to reload ammo. Range shooting would take preference over hunting capability.

Your input would be appreciated.

My vote would be .308. It's been used for long range shooting for years. It's not flashy or exotic but it does the job well. Cartridge components is usually easily available and affordable.

• Replies 937
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you could buy only one rifle for precision range shooting and maybe long range hunting which caliber would it be?

I don’t have loads of cash so I’ll probably only realistically be able to get one more rifle in the collection. I have a 270 for hunting and a .22 for playing around. Would like to get into the precision shooting scene and maybe do one or two competitions. I’m torn between a few calibers. The 6.5 creedmore, 7mm or 300. I would need something that has a longish barrel life and also isn’t super expensive to reload ammo. Range shooting would take preference over hunting capability.

Out of interest, what's wrong with the .270 for long rage hunting?

If you're going for a range gun, you will probably want a heavy barrel which then becomes quite heavy to hunt with. 

I would choose between 6.5 Creedmoor and 308.

6.5 will only get you about 2500 shots of barrel life, where the 308 will easily do double that.

Vihtavuori powder will add another couple of hundred shots over the hot burning S365 stretching the 6.5 to about 3000 shots. Vihtavuori is more expensive than Somchem, but it's easy to find and a more "stable" powder.

The ,308 is less fussy when it comes to loading.

Shooting to 1000m in good conditions we can swing a 400mm gong the whole day with 308 and 6.5

Not really a worry anymore; s365 is pretty much akin to unobtanium  these days...

Competition shooting?

Long range?

Long barrel life?

Cheap?

Eish. difficult combo. 

6.5 Creed eats barrels compared to 308.

6.5 Creed outshoots a 308 over 800m

300 WM. Kicks. Same goes for 300 WSM

308 usually runs cheaper and with less fuss.

By the way. This is one of my 308's. A 1980's plankgeweer. 

The blocks are 1 inch. The black square is 5cmx5cm

2x 4 shot groups . Distance 100m. Indoor range. 168gr Hornady Amax and 165gr Sierra game king.

On a really good day, ideal conditions I can hit a 10cm gong @ 500m 4/5.

On a crappy range day I cannot hit a 20cm gong @ 500m in 10 shots.

post-3602-0-10719400-1595427158_thumb.jpg

Edited by Goodbadugly

By the way. This is one of my 308's. A 1980's plankgeweer. 

The blocks are 1 inch. The black square is 5cmx5cm

2x 4 shot groups . Distance 100m. Indoor range. 168gr Hornady Amax and 165gr Sierra game king.

On a really good day, ideal conditions I can hit a 10cm gong @ 500m 4/5.

On a crappy range day I cannot hit a 20cm gong @ 500m in 10 shots.

Impressive, you can put 4 of your .308 shots through the barrel of my Monday walking stick at a hundred metres. 

post-17716-0-09177500-1595430648_thumb.jpg

Competition shooting?

Long range?

Long barrel life?

Cheap?

Eish. difficult combo. 

6.5 Creed eats barrels compared to 308.

6.5 Creed outshoots a 308 over 800m

300 WM. Kicks. Same goes for 300 WSM

308 usually runs cheaper and with less fuss.

They all have their sweet spots.

You need a mtb for mountain biking.You need a road bike or 2 for tar riding.Then you get the gravel bike that ok for both......that's your 308.

Theres also the .260Rem to look at that's good to 1000m.

If you shooting more than a 1000m then go with the 6.5CM or .338Lap.

Long range competition shooting gets very expensive as you progress.

Long range shooting expensive. Indeed.

Another caliber overlooked is the 243 win

Nothing wrong with a 243. Most organized gong shoots nowadays do not disclose the distance of the gongs. Up to 500m a 243 would probable serve an inexperienced shooter just as well or better than a 6.5 CM due to its flatter trajectory. (and the shooters inability to guess the distance correctly)

From 500-1000 m, I would say 6.5CM with a good scope. This is where the expensive part comes in. Remember that the rifle is normally less than half your budget. Prepare to spend at least R30k for a start.

Further than 1000m I would say 338 LM or 375 Cheytac.

Nothing wrong with a 243. Most organized gong shoots nowadays do not disclose the distance of the gongs. Up to 500m a 243 would probable serve an inexperienced shooter just as well or better than a 6.5 CM due to its flatter trajectory. (and the shooters inability to guess the distance correctly)

From 500-1000 m, I would say 6.5CM with a good scope. This is where the expensive part comes in. Remember that the rifle is normally less than half your budget. Prepare to spend at least R30k for a start.

^^^

Yup. If cash is not an option. Go 338 LapuaMag.

A few years back i shot the Cheytac M200 in .408 and 419gr bullet.Took it out to 1400m on a 1X1meter steel plate.You can't ask for more than that for long range shooting but it comes at a cost .

Rifle $11k

Scope $3k

Ammo $15 per round.

post-5455-0-78748700-1595487796_thumb.jpg

A few years back i shot the Cheytac M200 in .408 and 419gr bullet.Took it out to 1400m on a 1X1meter steel plate.You can't ask for more than that for long range shooting but it comes at a cost .

Rifle $11k

Scope $3k

Ammo $15 per round.

attachicon.gifCheyTac M200.jpg

Confession time: At those ranges, I must admit that I would drive to the 750 m mark, then stalk to the 250 m mark before looking for a nice solid dead rest....... :blush:

Rifle $11k

Scope $3k

Ammo $15 per round.

attachicon.gifCheyTac M200.jpg

"A standard bullet retains its supersonic velocity at ranges beyond 2 000 meters. It is worth noting that at the ranges beyond 700 meters this bullet has more energy than the standard .50 caliber (12.7x99 mm) round, however it generates less recoil. "

Bliskem.... and bliksem again

thanks for all the advice guys

I want something that will hit a gong out to say 700m easily and that with effort could go out to 1000m, although in CT there aren't many ranges beyond 500m

The 260 is an option i hadn't thought of but might be worth looking into. The 308 could also work.

I wish I had the money for a 338