RIFLE

mon-goose

My pellet gun shoots at a speed of 345m/s. I think that a pistol also shoots at 345m/s +-.

Will a 345m/s pellet be strong enough to kill an animal the size of a cat if I shoot it in the body?

Definitely

• Replies 937
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My pellet gun shoots at a speed of 345m/s. I think that a pistol also shoots at 345m/s +-.

Will a 345m/s pellet be strong enough to kill an animal the size of a cat if I shoot it in the body?

Yes but why would you want to shoot a cat [emoji250]?

Yes but why would you want to shoot a cat [emoji250]?

There are ducks in a local park next to where I live. Their population decreased because the cats eat them.

Where my mom works there are also ducks and the wild cats will eat their babies.

I was just curious if my pellet gun could kill a cat without causing it to suffer. I know it's illegal and I'll get in big trouble if I walk around with a pellet gun but Im not making any promises if a friendly neighborhood cat steps on my lawn.

Grass Muncher or whatever he calls himself is probably baiting.

My response is not aimed at him.

Here are just a few pointers concerning airguns. 

1. It is illegal to discharge a gun in town. With some exceptions. And shooting the neighbor's cat is not one of the exceptions. It is illegal to discharge a pellet gun in town.. Unless it is on a registered shooting range.

2. A 4.5mm airgun with a muzzle velocity of 1250f/s even with a 6 grain pellet produces 20 foot pound energy. In some countries in Europe you need a FAC (firearms certificate) to own a pellet producing more than 16J or 12 fpe.

3. Ruthless killing of what YOU deem pests might be frowned on by others. Don't take the law in your own hands.

4. If you shoot it, eat it. Don't be cruel.

5. Manufacturers of air guns are notorious for overstating the muzzle velocities of their products. Call it marketing. "Results may vary". To obtain the advertised velocities manufacturers usually use the lightest pellet they can find (like the Gamo raptor platinum, less than 5 grains) at sea level. And then add a few f/s for good measures.

6, Airguns are GREAT fun. And cheap to run. 500 top quality pellets like the JSB Exact sells for R220. 20x 308 Win cartridges sells for around R600.

7. In South Africa you do not need a license for an air rifle with a bore of 5.5mm or less.  

Here you go Hairy  :thumbup:

They were produced with three different barrel lengths.

This is the middle size one with an 18 inch barrel.

I never knew they made such a thing. What would the idea behind it be? What intended use?

There are ducks in a local park next to where I live. Their population decreased because the cats eat them.

Where my mom works there are also ducks and the wild cats will eat their babies.

I was just curious if my pellet gun could kill a cat without causing it to suffer. I know it's illegal and I'll get in big trouble if I walk around with a pellet gun but Im not making any promises if a friendly neighborhood cat steps on my lawn.

Brain donor....