RIFLE

mon-goose

Yeah I don’t think gender has anything to do with guns, and everyone should have the gun with the highest capacity and longest sight radius that they can make work for their situation regardless of gender. By “make work” I mean for whatever purpose they intend using it and the circumstances around that, and it’s not uncommon for people to have different options depending on what they’re doing that day or what they are wearing etc - but that’s a different story [emoji1]

On the gun safe I’m probably going to give you an answer that you’re not going to like, but it’s my view based on a lot of real world information.

I’ll start with this, many people have died on their knees while trying to get their gun out of the safe and others never even get the opportunity to get to the safe; many attacks are over in such a short space of time that it’s not possible and if you’re unfortunate enough to be in a long detention situation then your windows of opportunity or chances of creating any are seriously reduced if not completely gone.

What I would recommend to you is this.

A defensive gun belongs on your person at all times.

People who carry and practice good disciplines with them regularly are more familiar and safer with them than someone who hasn’t seen it in months and can’t remember how it works or how to practice good safe handling.

I understand though that this isn’t for everyone and so then what I would suggest is this, decide which is your perceived time of greatest threat (like 18:00 to 07:00 for example) and take it out and return it at those times, always remembering to practice safe handling.

On safe handling I would have a trusted someone watch you do it every day for a while to ensure that you keep a safe direction etc until it becomes a habit, it can be quite unnatural and it’s only through many repetitions of good practice that you will get there.

too summarize, old but true cliche..the best gun is the one you have on you.

The majority of gun owners are guilty of leaving the firearm in a safe because it got uncomfortable to carry.

I carry daily, I have sacrificed bullet capacity for carry capacity because less bullets is better than no bullets. Carrying daily takes commitment and discomfort at times.

Discomfort trumps ultimately all other firearm attributes for me.

• Replies 937
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for your input what you said is very similar to what the instructor said.

I'll definitely be back with more questions and won't just buy and old firearm.. my husband keeps on asking have I decided and I keep on telling him no I haven't even fired a weapon yet and will first spend a lot of time at the range so that I can get a feel for what I will be comfortable with and actuallyknow what I am doing with a firearm...but it is very good to hear from people who know what they are talking about...

PS I have quite big hands.

Hi

Do yourself a favour and go for the biggest frame size that fits you and is comfortable.

You will not be sorry.

Far more accurate and less recoil

Obviously how you intend to carry and or conceal the gun will be a factor in your choice

Good luck

Hi

Do yourself a favour and go for the biggest frame size that fits you and is comfortable.

You will not be sorry.

Obviously how you intend to carry and or conceal the gun will be a factor in your choice

Good luck

Thanks yes.. funny you mention that cause is was just looking at how the hell do I conceal the firearm it is tricky ..okay not like I wear dresses and don't use a handbag anymore as there is always too much crap in it and what if the steal my bag[emoji102]..but this is something to consider as well.. surprisingly also a lot of different options for ladies as well.. Edited by Gen

Thanks yes.. funny you mention that cause is was just looking at how the hell do I conceal the firearm it is tricky ..okay not like I wear dresses and don't use a handbag anymore as there is always too much crap in it and what if the steal my bag[emoji102]..but this is something to consider as well.. surprisingly also a lot of different options for ladies as well..

Jacket is the answer

And it looks smart or casual

Thx

I just did my practical..I can load a magazine, shoot a target and sort out a misfire ..full marks [emoji1787]

My arm is a bit lame now, 50 rounds in total. [emoji3061]

Edit

Oh I did have a chat with them about the sport side of things.. they have monthly training where they set up a course in different situations, lighting etc.

Must say the Instructor was really nice quite patient with me at the range (Indoor range) and all my questions (so weird finding out I was one of his matrics when he was in St 6). Found loading the magazine a bit tricky in the beginning until I figured out my own little technique then could load it a lot easier ..slid right in..

After course service really nice.. he will go with me to test a few different handguns to get the right fit. I used a pistol today...now he did tell me which make but all I could remember that it is like a Berretta .. okay I was nervous..[emoji2356]

Great job [emoji1319]

What do you think of Girsan? The MC28 doesn't seem a bad option for R7k odd...as I am rapidly finding out there is also a decent holster and gun belt to consider no matter what you buy so that's another R2k odd on top... I can't afford R12 or R13k for a Glock 19 and then all the needed accessories...But as you mentioned spares and making sure whatever you buy is the right option first time round rather than trying to change later on...

https://www.classicarms.co.za/products/110/9mmP-Girsan-MC28-Pistol

Those Girsan blasters are one of many cheaper options that are coming out of Turkey and some of their models don’t look too bad, however.... if it’s something that you’re going to put your and your loved ones lives in the hands of it’s just not worth the few grand saved.

I’m sorry it’s not what you want to hear given the budget, but it’s worth saving for a few months more, it really is.

Also just because they look the same as other big name models they’re often slightly different and you may well struggle to get a holster etc that actually works properly.

Edited by The Ghost

Hi

You will not be sorry.

Good luck

Yup the biggest one you can that also compliments your needs [emoji1303]

Thanks yes.. funny you mention that cause is was just looking at how the hell do I conceal the firearm it is tricky ..okay not like I wear dresses and don't use a handbag anymore as there is always too much crap in it and what if the steal my bag[emoji102]..but this is something to consider as well.. surprisingly also a lot of different options for ladies as well..

Yeah, never in the handbag.

Also it would be good to chat to that lady I mentioned before as she can give you all manner lady friendly advice that comes from years of her own and her customers experiences.

I worked with her a lot and I know what she’d tell you, but it would be nice for you to hear from her.

Great job [emoji1319]

Thx I will definitely have to spend a lot of time at the range (under supervision) for some time until things are second nature before I would even think of carrying a weapon on my person (once I actually do have a license though).. by the third magazine I was more comfortable dealing with the misfire and didn't have to think too much about what to do next..the first 2 I had to take myself through it step by step..quite amazing how your brain works.

I was bit surprised that I did okay..he knew I was really nervous about it but to our surprise I did okay. The first target was a bit all over the place but the second target was all in the little circle in the centre and the x in the circle was shot away..but at least I didn't miss any of the target which was a hell of a surprise to me and I was quite disappointed when I was finished.. my arm however was relieved[emoji2356][emoji1787]

Edited by Gen

Yeah, never in the handbag.

Also it would be good to chat to that lady I mentioned before as she can give you all manner lady friendly advice that comes from years of her own and her customers experiences.

I worked with her a lot and I know what she’d tell you, but it would be nice for you to hear from her.

Thx I will definitely listen to all and any advice.

Thx I will definitely have to spend a lot of time at the range (under supervision) for some time until things are second nature before I would even think of carrying a weapon on my person (once I actually do have a license though).. by the third magazine I was more comfortable dealing with the misfire and didn't have to think too much about what to do next..the first 2 I had to take myself through it step by step..quite amazing how your brain works.

I was bit surprised that I did okay..he knew I was really nervous about it but to our surprise I did okay. The first target was a bit all over the place but the second target was all in the little circle in the centre and the x in the circle was shot away..but at least I didn't miss any of the target which was a hell of a surprise to me and I was quite disappointed when I was finished.[emoji1787]

Well done.

The more you do it the better you will get and the more comfortable you will be with it.

I’ll pop you her details in a PM so as not to create any advertising issues on the forum.

Well done.

The more you do it the better you will get and the more comfortable you will be with it.

I’ll pop you her details in a PM so as not to create any advertising issues on the forum.

Thanks I appreciate it.

What do you think of Girsan? The MC28 doesn't seem a bad option for R7k odd...as I am rapidly finding out there is also a decent holster and gun belt to consider no matter what you buy so that's another R2k odd on top... I can't afford R12 or R13k for a Glock 19 and then all the needed accessories...But as you mentioned spares and making sure whatever you buy is the right option first time round rather than trying to change later on...

https://www.classicarms.co.za/products/110/9mmP-Girsan-MC28-Pistol

Still deals to be found on new gen3 glock 19's for that price. Would take the Glock all day everyday simply because of track record and local support.