RIFLE

mon-goose

Well hubby landed yesterday and took me gun shopping this morning..... I am now the owner of a Glock..now for the rest of the paperwork and sitting around waiting before I can take ownership

I got Glock 43 -9mm par (9x19)

I looked at a few different pistols ..but that one seemed to be a better fit for me and is quite slim so more comfortable to carry...

• Replies 937
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well hubby landed yesterday and took me gun shopping this morning..... I am now the owner of a Glock..now for the rest of the paperwork and sitting around waiting before I can take ownership

I looked at a few different pistols ..but that one seemed to be a better fit for me and is quite slim so more comfortable to carry...

out of interest, how long does one wait for a gun license?

out of interest, how long does one wait for a gun license?

Supposed to be about 3 months but yeah suppose it takes as long as it takes.[emoji2356]

One of my friend bought his wife a Victoria pink Glock like this one. It does come in at a higher price point though

Yeah its the same one as mine just mine is completely black.

Supposed to be about 3 months but yeah suppose it takes as long as it takes.[emoji2356]

If all the paperwork is in order and your local DFO is on the ball and quick, then I got one back in exactly 6 weeks. That was about 2 years ago. If your local DFO is clueless, it can stay on his/her desk for goodness knows how long before even getting sent off to the central firearms people. Three months seem to be a good time nowadays, but anything is possible. If the slightest little thingie is not to their liking, it gets delayed and a year or longer can flash by. The critical thing is to make sure that your local DFO knows exactly what is needed, give him every scrap of paperwork and make sure he submits it correctly and promptly. Keep copies of everything. There are many a story of documents getting "lost" or of one page going "missing" out of a stack that was stapled together.

If all the paperwork is in order and your local DFO is on the ball and quick, then I got one back in exactly 6 weeks. That was about 2 years ago. If your local DFO is clueless, it can stay on his/her desk for goodness knows how long before even getting sent off to the central firearms people. Three months seem to be a good time nowadays, but anything is possible. If the slightest little thingie is not to their liking, it gets delayed and a year or longer can flash by. The critical thing is to make sure that your local DFO knows exactly what is needed, give him every scrap of paperwork and make sure he submits it correctly and promptly. Keep copies of everything. There are many a story of documents getting "lost" or of one page going "missing" out of a stack that was stapled together.

Yep my husband's application took at least a year....amazing how they are able to lose supporting documents.... [emoji2959]

But yep I will make sure EVERYTHING possible is submitted..fortunately the academy do also help with the whole process at a decent fee so they'll ensure that we have everything before we submit.

Edited by Gen

Yep my husband's application took at least a year....amazing how they are able to lose supporting documents.... [emoji2959]

But yep I will make sure EVERYTHING possible is submitted..fortunately the academy do also help with the whole process at a decent fee so they'll ensure that we have everything before we submit.

Agree on copies; scan it in and save it in the cloud to make sure it doesn’t get lost. Bad news on the expediency of the CFR; I submitted 2 applications beginning March with the last status update 31 March. No progress since then. From what I’m reading on various forums, mine is not an isolated case Edited by Craai

Agree on copies; scan it in and save it in the cloud to make sure it doesn’t get lost. Bad news on the expediency of the CFR; I submitted 2 applications beginning March with the last status update 31 March. No progress since then. From what I’m reading on various forums, mine is not an isolated case

Oh my genade

I can imagine LD has also played its part in a serious backlog as well as the amnesty period that has been extended.

Edited by Gen

i have a license application in at the moment and guys are saying up to 200 days which is about 7 months. The CFR is in chaos at the moment so don't expect anything less than 6 months from the day you hand it into your cfo. And with christmas coming up soon that will add time. Expect June next year if you hand in this year still and then hope

Have a look at this thread 

https://www.gunsite.co.za/forums/showthread.php?99210-Licence-Tracking-App/page24

Edited by mon-goose

I am in the same boat, waiting for my renewal of my competancy certificates. Last night my neighbour 1,5km from us got robbed by 5 men, armed with a handgun and pangas. They were braaing outside when they got attacked. Shots were fired by the robbers and one hit his brother in law on his side, the other bullet just scraped one guest. Fortunately a guest came around the corner and fired at the robbers. They took cellphones, juwelery and a laptop and fled....this could have turned very bad if the guest did not intervere with the robbers. Just another farm attack in good old SA......

All the best, I hope you never need to use it in anger and if you do that you do so effectively.

You were asking about doing some sports shooting before, you will struggle with a 43, so I’d recommend that when the budget allows you get a 17 for sport use or a 19 for sport / carry combo. The good thing about getting another Glock for sport is that the guns are effectively the same in operation so changing mags, clearing malfunctions etc will all be the same, only the size and feel will vary.

All the best, I hope you never need to use it in anger and if you do that you do so effectively.

You were asking about doing some sports shooting before, you will struggle with a 43, so I’d recommend that when the budget allows you get a 17 for sport use or a 19 for sport / carry combo. The good thing about getting another Glock for sport is that the guns are effectively the same in operation so changing mags, clearing malfunctions etc will all be the same, only the size and feel will vary.

The sport bit.. is not to be competitive but a tool to help familiarise myself with the firearm to such an extent that handling the weapon is second nature under different circumstances really. So not too much about the result but just getting out there to practice

PS I hope to never have to use it out of necessity.

Edited by Gen

The sport bit.. is not to be competitive but a tool to help familiarise myself with the firearm to such an extent that handling the weapon is second nature under different circumstances really. So not too much about the result but just getting out there to practice

I understand, but give it a try a few times and you’ll see what I mean. [emoji1303]

Even if you have no interest in winning there’s also the matter of having a little more enjoyment that’s important so that you actually carry on doing it.

I also used to keep my carry gun for carry and range use about 4 times a year so as not to put too much wear and tear on my carry option but that’s more a consideration for higher round counts (maybe in your further future) and magazine preservation; although I tested all my mags I never used carry mags for sport.

It’s okay, as you get into things the various nuances will become apparent but there’s no rush and they can be addressed one at a time in their own time.

Warning: if you get into the sport it gets a bit like bikes, there’s always more go faster kit and goodies that looks good to have [emoji3] and don’t skimp on ear and eye protection, you only get one pair of ears and eyes.

Edited by The Ghost

Yeah its the same one as mine just mine is completely black.

Nice... I got the 43's fat brother, the Glock 26. Hopefully I can get the license this year still, but it's looking less and less likely

Nice... I got the 43's fat brother, the Glock 26. Hopefully I can get the license this year still, but it's looking less and less likely

if you haven't already submitted your documents much earlier this year, there's no chance. Have you submitted your application