Whats in your lunch box?

Following the high blood pressure I'm re assessing my lunch box for work.

Obviously with 2 kids and study i dont have much prep time.

My current lunch box consists of.

7:00 1 portion all bran in the morning.

8:00 1 safari fruit stick

10:00 1 small woolies flavored yogurt

12:00 3 woolies hot cross bums plain no butter

Various times 1 fruit, normally a apple or naartjie

16:00 peanut butter and syrup samie ( whole wheat) no butter

Thats probly 95% of the time

Supper is at 6 and normally a at least 3 veggies and a salad with around 4 " veggies" such as tamato, peppers, leaves, cucumber, then also add feta and sometimes strawberries.

Hows yours looking and any tips?

6:00 2 boiled eggs

12:00 1 tin of flavoured tjoona or chicken

18:00 a couple of Viennas or whatever meat is for supper

May snack on some peanuts and raisins in between occasionally ????

Without turning this into a LCHF thread, that is a bit too carby in my opinion.

Get some biltong, boiled eggs, nuts, tuna, cheese, hams, salamis, etc into that diet. All easy to prepare, even with kiddies :)

My go to lunch is 2 boiled eggs, 40g sliced ham and 30g cheese option 2 is a tin of tuna with half an avo.

Without turning this into a LCHF thread, that is a bit too carby in my opinion.

Get some biltong, boiled eggs, nuts, tuna, cheese, hams, salamis, etc into that diet. All easy to prepare, even with kiddies :)

My go to lunch is 2 boiled eggs, 40g sliced ham and 30g cheese option 2 is a tin of tuna with half an avo.

Nope thats all salty.. All bad for high bp.

Too much sugar and too much carbs. Even if you are unconvinced of a low carb approach, your eating is seriously high carb. Other than the apple or naartjie there is nothing there I would even consider eating.

I couldn't eat all that sweet stuff and carbs. Just don't like it. Makes me feel like I have a hangover and leaves me constantly hungry. Also negativly impacts my recovery from hard rides.

But different diets seem to suit different folks.

Salt doesn't cause high BP in everyone. I read somewhere that only about 20% of the population is sensitive to salt in terms of BP. Has no effect on me. Need to keep,my body fat below 9% to keep my BP in a good range and I need to keep fit. Was on meds for BP for 6 years. Was taken off them about 6 years back.

I am always hungry but have found my current lunch box/meal plan to hit the spot. Making the samies and getting everything ready does take some time though. Here it is:

07:00 Protein shake after gym

09:00 1x instant oats

09:00-12:30 Snack on nuts(unsalted)/cheese/carrots/baby tomatoes/cucumber/grapes/bananas/apples

12:30 two samies, low gi brown bread usually with some sort of cold meat, cheese and tomatoe/cucumber

15:00 Boiled egg and whatever I have left of my snacks

19:00 Whatever is for dinner.

20:00 Casein protein shake

I am thinking of trying iHealth meals, they deliver your lunch to your office daily. Two people in my office are using them and it looks quite good and will save a lot on prep time.

Come guy... Details

It's simple, eat less carbs. Too much carbs raise insulin levels. This isn't good. Your diet as listed above is too carby and sugary.

"Raised insulin levels seem to lead to the accumulation of fluid and salt in the body. This increases blood pressure. In addition, high levels of insulin can thicken the tissue around blood vessels (the so-called smooth muscle), which also may contribute to an elevated blood pressure.

Eating less carbohyrate has repeatedly been shown to decrease insulin levels and also blood pressure. Perhaps this is because a low-carbohydrate diet also tends to discourage the body from accumulating fluids, and increases the elimination of salt via urine."

"Reducing your carbophydrate intake to less than 100 grams per day will reduce your blood pressure by a variety of mechanisms.

Carbohydrate reduction will reduce insulin resistance and which can reduce the activation of the Sympathetic Nervous System (SNS), cause blood vessel relaxation and dilation by increasing the production of NOS (nitric oxide) and reverse the abnormal sodium (table salt) retention from the kidneys.

Additionally, a low carbohydrate diet will also lower blood pressure by reducing the amount of fat you have deposited within your abdominal cavity. This type of fat (referred to as intra-abdominal fat) is different than the fat underneath your skin that you can pinch (subcutaneous fat).

Intra-abdominal fat influences a large amount of chemicals and hormones that can contribute to an elevation in blood pressure. The following is a list of some of these substances and what they effects are:

Reactive oxygen species (ROS) – These compounds can stimulate the SNS and RAS (see below).

Endothelin-1 (ET-1) – ET-1 is a potent vasoconstrictor (causes blood vessels to become more narrow and stiffer).

Cortisol – In high levels, cortisol can causing sodium (table salt) retention in the body.

Leptin – Leptin not only regulates hunger but also stimulates the SNS system and can lead to vasoconstriction through the SNS system.

Adiponectin – Low adiponectin levels lead to a decrease in NOS (nitric oxide) levels leading to vasoconstriction."

http://www.dietdoctor.com/blood-pressure

http://chriskresser.com/6-ways-to-lower-blood-pressure-by-changing-your-diet/

http://www.nemechekconsultativemedicine.com/?page_id=1383

Heh, diet. You can find passionate justification for eating just about anything, and I mean anything. It is a highly emotive issue, too.

So take any advice with a pinch of salt, though that too might drive the BP up as much as the impassioned Banting, paleo, vegan, piece of old boot and other dietary advice will.

But to the topic. My lunchbox usually has a couple ham n cheese zarms, probably a jam in there too, several bananas apples pears plums or peaches, usually a slice of cake with icing (carrot cake preferred) some lollies, sometimes a tin of chicken or tuna, sometimes boiled eggs, sometimes billies, sometimes leftover lasagne or sausages or whatever. A lot of variety...a LOT of sugar....