Spez Grid Casing on Flow EX rims ?

Rock Guy

Has anyone done this? I was contemplating buying a set of Specialized Grid casing tires to run on Stans Flow EX rims (current model), then I came across this little bit of info on the web: 

Not Recommend Tires

WTB TCS and UST 29 inch tires are too tight for Stan's Notubes rims and NoTubes licensed rims such as Sun Ringle Black Flag.

Specialized Grid UST Tires are very tight on Stan's Rims.

*Use of sealant in non-tubeless tires may void the tires manufacturer’s warranty. "

(off Stans own website)

So now I'm a bit skeptical as to whether or not this setup is a good idea or not. I know I could choose from a bunch of other strong casing tires that won't pose a problem, but in my experience the Spez tires are pretty decent and, more importantly, are actually quite cheap compared to most other brands.

Anyhow, if this is going to send the tire levers flying into my eyeballs I'd rather go a different route.

Grid are a pig to get onto Stans rims, but it is possible. You just have to make sure the bead of the tyre sits in the centre channel of the rim all the way around before you try to get the last of the bead on otherwise you'll break things.

Go with the grid If you really like but (just a sugestion) try to get something like maxxis ardent or aspen  , I know they are very expensive but thethings is you can get 1000's upon 1000's km's on them which then should cover the cost  ....Bonus the sidewalls are bomb-proof

Good luck with whatever you choose :)

Running Grids on my Stans (Arch). Wouldn't run any other tyre.. Purgatory upfront and Ground at the back.  

Edit: not sure why the flippin pic is posting upside down! 

post-44068-0-89319700-1458587079_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tatt