Is my bicycle worth trading?

Xip3r

I have a Trek 1200 Road bicycle, of which year I am unfamiliar with. It has no pedals, the chains are a bit rusted, tires don't look that good and tubes both have a flat. Otherwise the bike is working well. I want to trade it for a decent or acceptable mountain bike. Can I do this? Should I first take photos of it for you guys to inspect? 

To answer your title.......No

Alright, can only reason that it's fair enough. Would it be worth investing to get working again though? 

NOPE

OKAY THANKS FOR YOUR REPLY ITS APPRECIATED (jk)

Perhaps try selling it for as much as you can get and take it from there. You'll probably battle to trade it for a decent mtb.

Depending on which model 1200 it is, it could be worth up to R5k. From your description, it seems as if it only needs a good clean, some lube and maybe a tyre or two. It will be worth spending a few hundred Rand and getting it sold.

I helped a friend look for a cheapie for his son and was shocked as to the junk out there and what people want for them. So, I'm pretty sure it's worth something.

Show us a pic and we can advise further.

Bottom line it depends on the year and the groupset.  If it is one of the early ones with the 1" threaded fork you won't get much for it and in fact you will not recover the cost of getting it back on the road.  If it is a later model with a 10 speed groupset and 1 1/8" threadless fork it could be worth something.

Bottom line it depends on the year and the groupset. If it is one of the early ones with the 1" threaded fork you won't get much for it and in fact you will not recover the cost of getting it back on the road. If it is a later model with a 10 speed groupset and 1 1/8" threadless fork it could be worth something.

The 1200 was never available in 10 speed (at least not original spec). The 1200 comes out with Tiagra. Trek had already dropped the 1200 naming by the time Tiagra went 10 speed.

I have one. Standard 9 speed sora sti and tiagra derailer. Internal bb and fsa cranks. Trek branded colour coded carbon fiber fork. Rest is all. The bontrager wheels that comes standard, is just wheels. Nothing special.

Best will be to keep it and park it permanently on an indoor trainer... :blush:

If your budget allows it, get addition to this bike a mtb...

Well according to most of the hubbers your bike is worth nothing...to you or to any potential buyer. It is however worth millions to someone who has never owned a bike before in their life. I say donate it. Give it to your gardner, a random cleaner at work that always greets you, the security guard at a complex...point is it doesn't matter. Give it to someone who needs it to set them free from having to pay taxi fairs everyday. Someone who will appreciate it. That's just my 2cents.

My wife had one, and I battled to sell it for R3k 8 years ago...so to sell it for cash then its not worth so much, but like Reinhardt says above, donate it to some one in need...

dd7d9c7a5d7e6b83e8993a3b6dbafe29.jpg

I have a trek 1000 in mint condition...i paid R2500 for the bike and a bike bag ( worth more than the bike)...even though the bike is so clean it is worth nothing...people dont want entry level road bikes.

Agree with Reinhardt89, in my experience it's easier to give a bike away (Freecycle) than to try get something for it on gumtree, it also gives you a warm fuzzy feeling inside, karma is watching.