Mavic scream of death

Rich990

My rear freehub (Mavic Aksium Race, circa 2008, Shimano 10sp) has been doing the scream of death the last three rides, finally identified it to be the freehub yesterday (and found out about the mavic death scream).

So, where is the best place to get the freehub serviced in Jhb?

Apparently its salvageable and i'd prefer to not cough up for a new freehub / entire hub.

Also, would prefer to have someone who knows what they're doing to service it - i tried servicing my deore hub a few weeks ago for my MTB - it ended up fubar'd, and I ended up the proud owner of a shiny new SLX hub.

Would prefer the Mavic hub not to suffer the same fate!!

Thanks!

Try removing the free hub body and giving it some grease first before you go to your LBS

I had the same noise coming from my Crosstrail. I stripped it off the hub to find it bone dry

2 x 17 spanners, tube of grease. Job done

Its Fubar - unless you do it yourself, don't think there is anyone locally that will bring in the hubdoctor kit.

On the plus side, its easy to take apart and to fix, did one about 2 years ago, permanently fixes a K@K design.

There are some plastic bushes inside that need to be replaced. Try opening and cleaning up everything first, put some light grease. That may keep the sound at bay for a while longer.

My screaming happened last weekend - greased it up and seems to be good. Was an easy job by the way.

Thanks for pointing out the hubdoctor kit - looks like a winner. 

Thanks for responses!

I stay in Kyalami area and work in Jhb CBD.

If anyone is local to me, i'd be willing to sponsor some pizza and beer in exchange for some help fixing the scream!

First time it happened I nearly fell off the bike!

It's very easy to service. Just remove the freehub shell, clean everything, oil and replace. Mineral oil not grease.  

That will probably work for a while, but if it is worn the only option is the Hub Doctor kits. Either replace the bushing (about ZAR 200) - probably with an oversized one - or replace the bushing with a bearing (about ZAR 600) is the best option.  You probably have to do this yourself, as you'll be lucky to find a mechanic who will do it.  Plenty of instructions on the web.

To test for this twist the cassette and see if there is any play.

Replacing the Freehub body (about ZAR 1000=) probably won't work.  A bike shop will try this, and if that still doesn't work you need a whole new hub and wheel rebuild, which is not worth it with Aksiums, so reallt you are looking at a new wheel. Best go the Hub Doctor route.

With Mavic wheels you need to keep the internals of the freebody oiled.

also had this problem with my crossmax  , very easy to resolve take of the free hub give everything a very good clean and some fresh grease  

problem solved 

repeat every 4-7 months depending on ride time

Thanks for responses!

I stay in Kyalami area and work in Jhb CBD.

I suggest you go and see Anton at Summit Cycles in Crowthorne and take your problem to him.

He will not only help in sorting out your Free-hub, but he will become a valuable ally if you become a committed cyclist. 

Of all the really helpful guys around (and there are a few) he is the closest to you. You will not be disappointed 

Thanks I'll go see him tomorrow! 

I tried to go past a few weekends back but it was a Sunday and the store was closed.

Regarding the mineral oil (for if Anton's store is closed this week with the public holidays) - will normal 5w40 engine oil work?

It's got to be thin oil or the pawls can stick and the hub can drag. Mavic mineral oil, everyone says Pedro's Road Rage but they don't make that anymore, Shimano brake oil (but definately not DOT fluid) or other light mineral oil (sewing machine, beard trimmer etc), baby oil if you want it to smell nice.  Maybe some of the thin "dry" chain lubes like Finish Line red.  Engine oil is too thick.

Yip. Anton is your man. He has just got back from the Epic, but if anything that will have honed his skills even more. He will sort you out for sure

Its a bush... had the same issue years ago, ah it brings back memories. Along with sticky avid brake pistons :) That's why I switched to shimano brakes and dt swiss wheels.

Edited by Larry Montana