SRAM introduces 12-speed Eagle drivetrains

News bot

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Its only slightly more expensive than the current XX1 and XO1 groups.

Remember t switch over from 11 to 12 you just need

shifter

derailleur

chain

cassette

chainring

You can keep your existing chainset if its a 1x with direct mount compatible

So everything...?

I'm going to get a lot of HATE for this but seriously , Is there no-one here that thinks this is becoming a little over the top I mean honestly! ( A f***ing 50t granny are you an XC world cup rider or Oupa Jan)

Talent plus alot of money will bring "you an XC world cup", just alot of money ie "A f***ing 50t" won't

Talent plus alot of money will bring "you an XC world cup", just alot of money ie "A f***ing 50t" won't

Missing the point.

When your opponents sees that 50T sprocket he leaves the race and goes home

Missing the point.

When your opponents sees that 50T sprocket he leaves the race and goes home

I guess it's not Friday yet...

I'm going to get a lot of HATE for this but seriously , Is there no-one here that thinks this is becoming a little over the top I mean honestly! ( A f***ing 50t granny are you an XC world cup rider or Oupa Jan)

Missing the part where the 50t allows you to go up at the front by 20% and thereby gain you more top end. So instead of running a 30t 10-42 you can run a 36t 10-50.

It's not about the granny...

Missing the part where the 50t allows you to go up at the front by 20% and thereby gain you more top end. So instead of running a 30t 10-42 you can run a 36t 10-50.

It's not about the granny...

Which again on a XC circuit may not really be necessary?

The courses I've seen don't really have longish flats, the sprints seldom happens in the last 100m.

Again, probably missing the point.

I fully "buy" into the idea and concept, just my wallet will definitely not be able to buy it

Which again on a XC circuit may not really be necessary?

The courses I've seen don't really have longish flats, the sprints seldom happens in the last 100m.

Again, probably missing the point.

I fully "buy" into the idea and concept, just my wallet will definitely not be able to buy it

Yes indeed

But again... not necessarily just for XC. I'd love the range in parts, as I find in fast sections of trail my 30t spins out juuuust a bit too fast. But I need the 30/42 for long slogs. So for me a 36 10-50 would be utterly brilliant

Edit: in this case XC = XCO. XCM is a different matter entirely

Edited by Myles Mayhew

for either co or XCm or trail or Enduro the 10-50 has advantages over 10-42.

THe chainring up front allowing a much effective change in gearing range than was peviously possible. You either compromised on top end or low end. 

Now its much easy to get your arse covered.

I don't think its such a benefit in a sprint but I find that I prefer using a bigger chainring to climb.

Same effect on the road, I prefer a 38T chainring with 27 at the back than a 34T front with 23 rear. I just feel more comfortable. Haven't explained it yet.

Ok so how long before the RD touches the ground when you are in granny? 56? 58? Also, any views on the correlation between chain length and chain failure / wear?

Call me old fashioned, but I'll take my dinner plate on the front right next to my side plate opposed to on the back for now.

I'm with you. Looks very nice, but will it improve my ride experience? For that kind of cash, you would hope to, but the cranks all go round, whether they are SS, 1x10 or 2x10. Would rather spend it on a tangible benefit, like wheels or suspension.

Ok so how long before the RD touches the ground when you are in granny? 56? 58? Also, any views on the correlation between chain length and chain failure / wear?

Call me old fashioned, but I'll take my dinner plate on the front right next to my side plate opposed to on the back for now.

Less wear with Eagle because you have more chain wrap over chainring and sprocket thn with a 2x system.

consider wrap on 34 - 50 (0.68) and 26 - 40 (0.65ratio)

# teeth wrapped is 43.6teeth  vs 30.4 . if you assume 2/5 of chainring is wrapped and 3/5 of sprocket.

So the 1x12 granny has greater laod distribution across the teeth than the 2x10 granny.

The width of a chain is not related to its ability to resist wear but rather  how well its links are able to absorb the offset.