Wahoo Kickr Owners

awesme

Towel with a big plastic rubbish bag underneath ...  No issues yet from the Mrs ...   :ph34r:

Those who have the trainer inside... What do you use to orotect the carpet from sweat? Mine is in the garage but woukd love to move to the spare room... Just dont know what to do with sweat

• Replies 538
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hi guys,

i'm getting a laptop to run my kikcr/zwift set up.

What is the basic laptop requirement i'll need?

any suggestions?

Apple TV 4k for around R4000. Super stable (none of the Windows 10 Bluetooth Issues) and you would need an expensive gaming laptop to get better performance than the Apple TV.

Apple TV 4k for around R4000. Super stable (none of the Windows 10 Bluetooth Issues) and you would need an expensive gaming laptop to get better performance than the Apple TV.

Most research points this way .... I have twice gotten prices for these ... each time got stuck on how to control Zwift on the apple tv

Seems very convoluted for Android owners ..... then again, most videos on this are from apple owners ...

I would really like to understand this better, for Zwift and the other platforms.

Just keep in mind that the Apple TV only allows for 2 x Bluetooth connections.

In theory you'll need at least 3 connections (Trainer, Cadence, HR)

This might vary from trainer to trainer.

The newly released Wahoo gadgets cater for this shortfall.

Reviews say that navigating Zwift with the Apple TV remote are a nightmare.

Originally I also investigated the Apple TV option but the decided to use a NUC which works like a bomb. If you buy it new it's way more expensive than an Apple TV but there's always good 2nd hand option on Facebook Marketplace.

The graphics on Zwift are quite mediocre - something compared to a console game circa 2010 - so I don't think a gaming laptop is required to get equivalent performance AppleTV.

I've tried various options including a basic laptop with built-in graphics and everything worked fine.

My preferred option is to connect all devices to my Android phone (which supports Ant+) and cast to Smart TV (or Google Chromecast). Works quite well with decent spec'd phone (Samsung S10 or higher) and a solid WiFi connection.

Also tried using an Android TV box from China with sideloaded apps. So far I've managed to get Rouvy and Trainer Road to work flawlessly, however I have not been able to get Zwift to connect to the Kickr. Something I'm still working on.

ye pairing a samsung phone with a apple tv, can't comment, but once done.... or if you on a iPhone then this is so the perfect setup, use a low end apple tv, a 30inch old cheapo computer screen connected to it, and run app on your iphone or iPad.

G

Most research points this way .... I have twice gotten prices for these ... each time got stuck on how to control Zwift on the apple tv

Seems very convoluted for Android owners ..... then again, most videos on this are from apple owners ...

I would really like to understand this better, for Zwift and the other platforms.

... and since you pairing with Apple phone or Samsung phone you don't need a ANT+ dongle, connecting to the Apple device, just use BTLE, if you want to connect to the Android device, Android devices/Samsung phones include ANT+ receiver.

so now you also don't have to battle with Windows.

TrainerRoad works perfectly on both Samsung and Apple.

G

Sub...

Split this problem up, first get zwift working on phone, connecting to Kickr, 

to make sure phone works with Kickr, use the Kickr app first, then after that try Zwift. def works, have loads of friends that do this. 

after this decide what you want to use to cast to the TV, for samsun, ye smart TV, but be careful, not all "smart" tv's are as smart as they need to be, make sure in store your phone connects easy enough to tV, otherwise you need to invest in a device that does what the apple tv would do, that recieve and send signal to tv.

Nice phone of the Apple TV, you also get Apple music, so you have tunes to listen to also, or watch a program, or stream RedBul TV.

G

The graphics on Zwift are quite mediocre - something compared to a console game circa 2010 - so I don't think a gaming laptop is required to get equivalent performance AppleTV.

I've tried various options including a basic laptop with built-in graphics and everything worked fine.

My preferred option is to connect all devices to my Android phone (which supports Ant+) and cast to Smart TV (or Google Chromecast). Works quite well with decent spec'd phone (Samsung S10 or higher) and a solid WiFi connection.

Also tried using an Android TV box from China with sideloaded apps. So far I've managed to get Rouvy and Trainer Road to work flawlessly, however I have not been able to get Zwift to connect to the Kickr. Something I'm still working on.

Just keep in mind that the Apple TV only allows for 2 x Bluetooth connections.

In theory you'll need at least 3 connections (Trainer, Cadence, HR)

This might vary from trainer to trainer.

The newly released Wahoo gadgets cater for this shortfall.

Reviews say that navigating Zwift with the Apple TV remote are a nightmare.

Originally I also investigated the Apple TV option but the decided to use a NUC which works like a bomb. If you buy it new it's way more expensive than an Apple TV but there's always good 2nd hand option on Facebook Marketplace.

All trainers broadcast power and cadence in a single channel now. Wahoo was the last to do this. So the two channels available on the Apple TV is sufficient-1 for the HR and the other for the power and cadence

also you connect the trainer to your phone, run the Zwift or TrainerRoad app on the phone, and then just cast the output/screen from the phone to the AppleTv.

G

All trainers broadcast power and cadence in a single channel now. Wahoo was the last to do this. So the two channels available on the Apple TV is sufficient-1 for the HR and the other for the power and cadence

also you connect the trainer to your phone, run the Zwift or TrainerRoad app on the phone, and then just cast the output/screen from the phone to the AppleTv.

G

Yep agreed if you already have ApplyTV. Personally, R4 000 for AppleTV is a bit pricey for me. Might be worthwhile checking if your SmartTV has the casting functionality (most SmartTVs post 2017 have this) or consider picking up a ChromeCast for R600. 

R3200

https://www.takealot.com/apple-tv-32gb-4th-generation/PLID46989298?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIrrmXu_r76QIVSLDtCh2rLglrEAQYASABEgJnGPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

and that is for a new one, this is for a pain cafe... get a older one, sure they be available online, 2nd hand.

G

Yep agreed if you already have ApplyTV. Personally, R4 000 for AppleTV is a bit pricey for me. Might be worthwhile checking if your SmartTV has the casting functionality (most SmartTVs post 2017 have this) or consider picking up a ChromeCast for R600. 

I can't remember if I said it on this thread or another but mine was a problem with the kickr - as in its broken. The thing was vibrating like a jackhammer and sounded like a helicopter. And especially being in an apartment - theres no ways I could use it knowing people are living under us.

I'm not disputing the company nor the distributor, it was amazing when it worked, I'm just (obviously) frustrated with the k@k timing with the lockdown. 

Update: (I have no one else to complain to so may as well write it here...) kickr finally got looked at this week, it will indeed be replaced, but the supplier has run out of stock, and so has CL. 

So I wait yet another 2 weeks for another shipment to come in.

sigh...

Update: (I have no one else to complain to so may as well write it here...) kickr finally got looked at this week, it will indeed be replaced, but the supplier has run out of stock, and so has CL. 

So I wait yet another 2 weeks for another shipment to come in.

sigh...

Hello Chris, 

So sorry for the wait. We are eager to get you back on your KICKR as soon as possible. 

The first units coming in will be allotted to our customers requiring support. 

Cheers!

Your local Wahooligan 

Hello Chris, 

So sorry for the wait. We are eager to get you back on your KICKR as soon as possible. 

The first units coming in will be allotted to our customers requiring support. 

Cheers!

Your local Wahooligan 

I know you guys are doing the best you can, and as I've said often before these are just not normal times.

But still, waiting for 2 months I'm going to need to feel sorry for myself regardless  ;)