Trail Daze | Down by the River

ewaldsadie

They do. In Dan's quote, it's there for all to see. In big text as well... 

Well to be fair, I suspect he means, it's a pity there's no mention of the other trails at Van Gaalens.

I do sometimes wonder why the trail details aren't put up.  Distance, gradients etc. like they do on PB.  Would be a nice addition.

Well to be fair, I suspect he means, it's a pity there's no mention of the other trails at Van Gaalens.

I do sometimes wonder why the trail details aren't put up.  Distance, gradients etc. like they do on PB.  Would be a nice addition.

True dat. 

They do. In Dan's quote, it's there for all to see. In big text as well...

Ok, read it again to catch the brief mention.

The river trail is an awesome section of trail, so it probably is the first logical spot to consider for Trail Daze, and they did cover it brilliantly.

There is so much more though. Another stop would perhaps be warranted.

yep, the place caters for all levels.

Would love to see Ewalds take on the cliffhanger section. So mutch of adrenaline and technical.

The article really does the trail justice...and Ewald's pics are really something special.

Ok, read it again to catch the brief mention.

The river trail is an awesome section of trail, so it probably is the first logical spot to consider for Trail Daze, and they did cover it brilliantly.

There is so much more though. Another stop would perhaps be warranted.

The Trail Daze crew had limited time up north so had to focus on specific sections of trail, and naturally being a Photo Feature the most visually appealing trails get the first love.

With time (and more budget) the plan is to cover many more of SA's trails in the series.

Trail info and related trails ala' PB is firmly on our radar. Although strictly speaking not part of the Trail Daze series, a trail database with the sort of info mentioned is in the pipeline and will tie in very well with Trail Daze as supplementary content.

Had a rad day shooting on these trails, Ewald is a brilliant photographer and captures the scene really well.

There really is a lot more to ride there but I think we covered the best and most fun of those trails.

All I can say is keep an eye out for the next months pics ;)

Hey guys!
Thanks for the article and great photos. They made me nostalgic!
I used to stay in that house on Astley Manor with my folks!
They lived there from 2006 to 2012. My husband introduced me to mountain biking in 2011. I was a bit skeptic at first and wondered why he'd bamboozled me into buying bike. 
That first 2km of single track (the track on the south side of the river, if you head straight down from the house, cross between the two small dams and down to the river) was my first taste of mountain biking! Racing along that smooth track om my cheap Dunlop felt like an awakening. 

During our first 24-hour race in 2011, my husband and I started the lap from Van Gaalen and spent the night in our own house. LOL. We just continued with our lap the next morning, being very well rested. 
For me, Van Gaalen's is home; especially Astley Manor. 

The pics are awesome - what about putting a go pro on and loading some vid, now that would be gr8 to watch.