Bike framesets, who actually makes them?

Iceman.

I looked at my Specialized road bike and noticed that its made in Taiwan, but wondered who actually makes their framesets?

Could it be the Giant manufacturing facility in Taiwan?  

Could their framesets be made by Merida, who apparently makes framesets for other brands?

I don't know.

Any thoughts and on any of the other brands?

Edited by Iceman31

Well being a Spez its entirely possible they are made at the main Merida manufacturing plant. The S-Works models are apparently made elsewhere alongside the Merida pro team frames... 

"In 2001, Merida Bikes of Taiwan bought 49% of Specialized for a reported US$30 million. Mike Sinyard remained majority owner and CEO of the company."

Link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Specialized_Bicycle_Components

But yes, a lot of bikes made by a handful of manufacturers.

All major brands like Scott, Merida, Trek, Cannondale etc. all research and design their own frames and make molds for them. 

Giant as I understand it manufacture for 80% of the bike brands from these molds. I know that Giant manufacture Scott's frames.

This seems to be bicycle industry secrets, which includes where each bike brand gets their carbon fibre from, except for Pinarello who gets their carbon from Toray.

It's a pity that this info is not shared with the consumer.

except for Pinarello who gets their carbon from Toray.

Toray is the largest carbon fiber manufacturer in the world - most companies get their carbon fiber there.

Makes me think of the nishiki and haro bikes in the shops when I was little. All looked the same except for the decals

Sorry to disappoint you, but I'm not upset.

My Sworks Tarmac is still pretty awesome even though it may be manufactured by who-know's-what facility in Taiwan, lol. 

Dont tell anyone but one of my very much loved roadies is a Spez  :ph34r: