Win another very special Santini X Eroica jersey

Stan Engelbrecht

Rapport Tour circa 1982/3.  Grand Parade Cape Town,  Stage winners bike.   Cant remember who he was.   Seem to recall the name of a Belgium rider Paul Goethals, but time obscures the memory.  This is where my love affair with Alan bicycles started.

Oh yes and my Eroica Number is SAF16IN00056.

post-31019-0-35180600-1459434744_thumb.jpg

Chris Willemse Senior, former Springbok and National Cycling Champion,

Chris Senior is, still today, the only cyclist in South Africa that has won all three divisions of the SA Road Race (Elite, Junior and Scholar).

He was also the person who personally introduced many international cycling champions to South Africa for the first time, which include:

Eddy Merckx(Belgian) – Five time winner of the Tour de France and Giro d’Italia, four time winner of the World Championship and holder of the World Hour Record (Longest distance cycled in one hour). A marvel of cycling who is known as the greatest cyclist of all time!

Patrick Sercu(Belgian) – Olympic Gold Medallist (Track Cycling – 1964, Tokyo), recorder holder for the most six-day track event wins and two time World Champion where he dominated his rivals with his strong sprinting ability.

Francesco Moser(Italian) – Former World Champion and Giro d’Italia winner, and one of the dominant cyclists in the mid-1970’s to the early-1980’s.

Mario Cipollini(Italian) – Former World Cycling Champion, winner of 191 international cycling events in total and known as one of the best sprinters of his generation.

Jan Ullrich(German) – Former World Champion, very first German to win the Tour de France and Gold & Silver Medallist during the 2000 Summer Olympics in Sydney.

Chris Senior is also the person who arranged the very first Cycling Street Mile in the world, the International Tri-Nation Track Event and the three-day International Track Event at the Bellville Velodrome.post-74244-0-44216900-1459714308_thumb.jpg

I know the competition is over but I came across this fantastic photo taken by the famous cycling photographer Nato Barnard of the 1974 Rapport Tour of a rider in the Trek Team who collapsed from heat exhaustion. Note the Colnago bottom bracket of his bike and no closure of the roads.....traffic on both sides of the road in Karoo somewhere at temperatures of 40 degrees!

post-48195-0-59192100-1460275515_thumb.jpeg

Congratulation ren8gor! What a great old historic photograph, and a nice Alan too! Did you take that image? Must have been fantastic to be there... 

Since Eroica South Africa entries are closing today, this will be the last Eroica x Bike Hub competition we're running for this year. Thanks for everyone who participated, and I hope to see you all in Montagu!

Rapport Tour circa 1982/3.  Grand Parade Cape Town,  Stage winners bike.   Cant remember who he was.   Seem to recall the name of a Belgium rider Paul Goethals, but time obscures the memory.  This is where my love affair with Alan bicycles started.

Oh yes and my Eroica Number is SAF16IN00056.

Nice work ren8gor! Please email me (stan@dayone.co.za) your postal address or the name of the nearest PostNet branch to you, and I'll send over your brand new Santini x Eroica jersey to you as soon as possible. 

Thanks!

Stan.