MTB tyres road use?

RbelYous

Hi,

I would like to find out if it is ok to ride with my current tyres on the road as well? I have Maxxis tyres on at the moment, which is used for trail riding, but would like to do some road cycling every once in a while perhaps too?

Any thoughts or recommendations? Thanks!

I've got an old 26" hardtail which I do most of my training on.  I use the maxxis CrossMark UST LUST tyers on them.  They give good miles on the road, and I use it offroad as well.  Not that great offroad, but it last very well.

Exactly what toxic said. I have a old 26inch that I commute on and seldom take off road. Part of my commute I can ride some dirt pavements and I have used crossmarks for years. Last time I needed new tyres I struggled to get and ended up with conti race king at back and maxxis monorail at the front. What rubbish!! Almost time to give the current tyres to my dogs(they love my old tyres) and get 2 new crossmarks.

the will be fine for road riding.  I make sure my tires are inflated nice and hard when used on the road.  It will wear of a bit quicker, but if you not doing major miles you wont notice.

Less aggressive tyre tread, like the Crossmarks already mentioned, will be better suited for dual use.

MTB tyres will wear quicker, and they will be nice and noisy.!

Other than that, they will be fine.

I ride continental mountain king protection on the road, commuting and getting to the trails. Get about +-5000km on a rear tire. In contrast a nobby nic lasted about +-1500km.

Crossmarks and pump em up hard for the road.

They not the best off road, especially as a front tyre, but the attributes that define a good front tyre - tons of grip, softer compound, nobblies on the sides, etc - you don't want on road. They suck on to the tar, create drag and make your bike sound like a Land Rover

I have been using the crossmarks for quite some time now. Done about 4500km commuting to work and they are still good for a couple of 1000 more. Mind you I don't do much trail riding but as a commuter wheel they are brilliant.

Agree with Baracuda on the front wheel

Edited by D-Mike

Added benefit of crossmarks is Iv'e found they offer the best puncture protection of any tyre iv'e used. 

Thanks all, appreciate the feedback! - I am quite new to the MTB'ing scene, hence the uncertainty..

I should've stated this, but I have the following setup currently:

Front tyre = Maxxis Ikon

Rear tyre = Maxxis Crossmark

So according to the responses so far, the crossmark should be fine for dual purpose use.. What about my front tyre?

I don't mind if it wears out slightly quicker than normal due to road use, but just don't want it to wear out damn quick compared to average use. Thanks!

Crossmark pumped to 3 bar was my first 94,7 tyre and a few other road races .Bestest mtb tyre for tar by far .I have had numerous other tyres on other bikes ,but the crossmarks are still going strong .Ikon will wear faster ,but it is a front tyre ad does not work as hard 

Crossmark pumped to 3 bar was my first 94,7 tyre and a few other road races .Bestest mtb tyre for tar by far .I have had numerous other tyres on other bikes ,but the crossmarks are still going strong .Ikon will wear faster ,but it is a front tyre ad does not work as hard

Thanks Blitzer, I will definitely give that a try then with regards to the pressure.