Revised Environmental Management Programme for cycling in TMNP released for comment

News bot

We met and discussed the format for responses to the comments received.

A few prickly points came up in the comments and as such a site visit to the areas in question will need to be conducted. Dates are booked for the 28th and 30th but by this time most of the other responses should be compiled; meaning we will be very close to sign-off should the site visit go our way - if not then we'll surely need to make a call about the areas to not hold up the rest of the process..

Of 171 comments, 144 were pro.

We're going to need the names and addresses of the 27 anti commenters... Seriously, this is public surely? can't find it here http://cndv.co.za

We're going to need the names and addresses of the 27 anti commenters... Seriously, this is public surely? can't find it here http://cndv.co.za

..and of those 27, 2 warranted site inspections. Just 7 minutes ago I received the notes of the two inspections and it should be noted that hiking and running have their own significant impacts on the environment. It is wrong to assume that mtb will need extensive and exhaustive studies in order to share an existing trail. If anything, we need more signage for hikers informing them of the need to stay on the trails...????

You are right, it will be public as soon as the responses are compiled.. he says with a sense of trepidation.

..and of those 27, 2 warranted site inspections. Just 7 minutes ago I received the notes of the two inspections and it should be noted that hiking and running have their own significant impacts on the environment. It is wrong to assume that mtb will need extensive and exhaustive studies in order to share an existing trail. If anything, we need more signage for hikers informing them of the need to stay on the trails...

You are right, it will be public as soon as the responses are compiled.. he says with a sense of trepidation.

DUAL USE TRAIL! DUAL USE TRAIL! DUAL USE TRAIL!!!

I wish I had seen this earlier! The potential for tourism is huge! Good luck guys!!

Tell everyone you know who rides mountain bikes! 

..and of those 27, 2 warranted site inspections. Just 7 minutes ago I received the notes of the two inspections and it should be noted that hiking and running have their own significant impacts on the environment. It is wrong to assume that mtb will need extensive and exhaustive studies in order to share an existing trail. If anything, we need more signage for hikers informing them of the need to stay on the trails...

Deon, is this your opinion or that of TMNP or some expert? Whose notes were these? Agreed, education of all parties is essential and signage for runners and walkers to stay on trails but also to expect bikes on a trail is a must. 

Deon, is this your opinion or that of TMNP or some expert? Whose notes were these? Agreed, education of all parties is essential and signage for runners and walkers to stay on trails but also to expect bikes on a trail is a must. 

It was general consensus to one comment asking that a rather detailed study first be conducted. Within a few minutes on the first trail we could already see that many of the concerns are already a factor, not something new that would be introduced through a new user group.. 

If the concerns expressed were really an issue, the study should in fact include all current user groups and would probably result in the paths not being used at all. 

The good news is that some trails are very well suited to mountain bikes as the gradient does not allow for high speed and in other places low vegetation allows good viz.