DIY: Advice Please

Kevlouw

Hi all,

So I became the new owner of a road bike over the weekend. I don't ride road bikes, but I couldn't accept that the bike was thrown out in the wind and rain, so I managed to acquire it without paying a cent.

Even though it isn't the latest model, I feel the bike can look like new with a bit of TLC.

( Trek 2300, mustard-yellow, a few scratches etc )

This is what I would like to know:

- To save costs, would it be advised that I respray the bike myself? I don't like the yellow, and would change the colour if possible.

- Do you get kits that can assist with respraying a bike?

- Is it better to have decals painted on the bike, or is it better to get new stickers?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Kev

1. If you got the equipment I would suggest to have a go at spraying it yourself. bit of 2k and some hardner and thinners. R150 and you are good to go. If you get the stickers the I would suggest a base coat(your colour) then topcoat(clear) after putting the stickers on. If you take your time and do the research then you can end up with e decent finish. 

can't really comment on spraying.

but this stuff works great for getting the old paint off (make sure to read the instructions and follow them)

http://www.cymot.com/web_images/cbc_23_840_005_durastrip_paint_remover_1l.jpg

can't really comment on spraying.

but this stuff works great for getting the old paint off (make sure to read the instructions and follow them)

http://www.cymot.com/web_images/cbc_23_840_005_durastrip_paint_remover_1l.jpg

how many Z.A.R's for a tin to strip down a frame please?

and how many hours. Considering doing this to an old frame myself

I will never strip paint off my frame again doing it alone.. It takes forever to get the paint off on some places of the frame. I will just get it dipped in chemicals. The reward is great but wow it took me really long to finish stripping the paint.

Edited by Wheeler2

builders warehouse.

I restored 10 year old wooden window frames with this stuff.

apply, wait, scrape off, brush, wash (repeat if needed) 

Also paint stippers that really work are really noxious.

If you want something that is like nuclear waste then get Nitromors. Will remove a layer of your skin with the paint.

Another thread where penny wise pound foolish operates.

If you are asking about spray painting and stripping paint chances are you haven't done it - and believe me its a skill. You won't end up with a finish that is anything close to pro unless you get some experience in spray painting.

So you will be dissatisfied and will always have a bike that looks home made. Decals are another question entirely.

Stripping paint is a long and tedious job which you need to get right to get a proper job. Then you need base coats and the right types of base coats to get the paint to attach properly - and then colour coats and then probably a clear coat.

If you are happy living with something that clearly looks like it was done in your back garden and with a finish like orange peel then you can use spray cans and try - but if you want a pro job and are willing to want a good looking bike then get it done by someone who knows what they are doing.

I will never strip paint off my frame again doing it alone.. It takes forever to get the paint off on some places of the frame. I will just get it dipped in chemicals. The reward is great but wow it took me really long to finish stripping the paint.

How long?

unless the paint is in fundamentally poor condition there is no need to fully strip it - just feather in the chips and scratches, filler primer them and then sand smooth with about 600 grit to get a tooth on the existing paint and then do the topcoat.

Clearly decals need to be removed prior to paint - but if lacquer thinners does not take it off then it can reasonably confidently be painted over.

How long?

There people here on the hub who will paint your bike to the highest standards but you may not be planning to invest that much.

I had an old Giant that came out well just by sanding it down carefully ( not removing the colour ) then overspraying with clear Glatex 8, thinned out a bit and a cheap old electric spraygun. Glatex 8 is a very hard wearing 2k epoxy that has a high surface tension so it 'skins' to a very smooth gloss finish as it sets. Easy for me as an amateur to get a good finish. I subsequently got good results the same way on a trailer but don't bother trying a brush finish....