Wheel building

There isn't one, as far as I could see, so let's start a wheel building thread.

(Maybe admins want to pin this?)

This is the thread for anyone wanting info on wheel building, for anyone who builds wheels and for all guys who may want to learn this art.

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Basic range of tools required:

Truing stand

Spoke spanners - different sizes and shapes

Spoke tension meter

Dishing Tool

Thru Axle adapter

Spoke length calculator - available on the web.

I would definitely be intretested in learning to build wheels. Will see what comes of this thread, hopefully plenty info.

Truing stand

Spoke tension meter

Dishing Tool

Thru Axle adapter

You don't need a thru axle adapter, just the thru axle itself works fine.

The Bicycle Wheel - Jobst Brandt all the basics.  Download it and read selectively.  Tension meter is a luxury - especially if you are building aluminium wheels.  You can check tension when you relieve the spoke wind up.  

I will teach anyone who is interested.  R2000 for two full days to build your own wheel set with my tools. email me at dave@spokeandspanner.co.za or 072 222 7185

Truing stand

Spoke tension meter

Dishing Tool

Thru Axle adapter

tick tick tick tick tick tick and tick 

I think once you have the tools and books etc the next best step is to start building wheels and learn as you go  - thats what I am doing 

I found a very interesting article on the internet ... this guy really knew what he was talking about ...

sheldonbrown.com \ wheelbuilding or something like that he really explains it in depth .......definitely worth a read before you get stuck in

jus my 2 cents worth ....

I found a very interesting article on the internet ... this guy really knew what he was talking about ...

sheldonbrown.com \ wheelbuilding or something like that he really explains it in depth .......definitely worth a read before you get stuck in

jus my 2 cents worth ....

.....Jobst Brandt 

I agree. I bought this book and it has taken the mystery out of building wheels. Made my own truing stand and have built several sets of wheels, very satisfying.

Also have the book, all the info you need to start building wheels.

You can get away without a spoke tension meter & dishing tool. At least I have, the tone of the spokes reveals their tension. Dishing: when you put ur wheel on the your bike, all will be revealed. But if your spoke lengths are right, it should be okay.

It should be noted that is advanced DIY, requires good base skills & lots of patience, and a feel for the wheel.

Spokes: I used to get Sapim custom cut from JB, where is there a local source now?

btw I have quite a few  new extras suitable for 26" wheels if anyone needs (for a market related price)

Book: there was a very good pdf doing the rounds ...

To my knowledge, Kiwi has a machine.

I know of 4 industrial spoke cutting and threading tools.  JB sold his to Cyclelab Fourways, Doug Patterson has one - maybe he has passed it on with the Pillar agency.  Kiwi and I each have one.