MTB Front / Rear tyre combinations

GavS

Bro, have you ever even seen a dirt bike?

yes. Different application though. Dirt bike needs bigger rear tyre due to excessive power generation. We need burlier tire at the front for grip. 

We don't put out NEARLY enough power to warrant a burlier rear than front tyre. Likewise, wider front tire = higher volume = lower running pressures = more grip. 

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yes. Different application though. Dirt bike needs bigger rear tyre due to excessive power generation. We need burlier tire at the front for grip. 

We don't put out NEARLY enough power to warrant a burlier rear than front tyre. Likewise, wider front tire = higher volume = lower running pressures = more grip. 

I disagree. When going downhill, it's important to remember that your bike's anti-squat has a prolific and exponential influence on the wattage of powers generated, allowing your rear wheel to generate more lateral grip than the front.

Thus, you can get more grip from a wider rear tyre for downhill riding purposes.

No reason at all. It has smaller, shorter & more closely spaced knobs. Would not rate it as a front tire over the likes of the normal ardent or a minion or high roller.

Awesome thanks Myles ;)

Sorry just one more thing....2.25 or 2.4 Ardent up front and why one would be better than the other?

It's wider, so you can run it at a lower pressure, which improves grip characteristics.

Sharp ;)

• 7 months later...

Not sure if I can jump in here ... My son rides for Monnas school MTB. It is technical with up hills and flats. Averages around 4.5km a lap and they do that in about 18min. The champs does it in 13min a lap. They are 16years old and ride with 26" bikes. What tyres would you recommend as I know nothing about MTB tyres ... ? I know wider in front for lower pressure and more grip and that is it.

Thanks

Edited by EkkeHannes

Not sure if I can jump in here ... My son rides for Monnas school MTB. It is technical with up hills and flats. Averages around 4.5km a lap and they do that in about 18min. The champs does it in 13min a lap. They are 16years old and ride with 26" bikes. What tyres would you recommend as I know nothing about MTB tyres ... ? I know wider in front for lower pressure and more grip and that is it.

Thanks

If they are on 26",any tyre you can get hold off !! .I know of Continental 26 tyres avaliable ,otherwise Chain reaction cycles 

Sorry just one more thing....2.25 or 2.4 Ardent up front and why one would be better than the other?

The 2.4 ardent is basically an entirely different tire to the old 2.25 version.

+1 on the ardent 2.4. Considering it as a rear tyre for myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 2.4 ardent is basically an entirely different tire to the old 2.25 version.

+1 on the ardent 2.4. Considering it as a rear tyre for myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I now run the 2.25 out back and 2.4 up front. The rear Ardent has stopped my back end from sliding out a few times now and also gives me a little more volume too. It does not roll as well as the crossmark or Ikon would at the back but I suppose I would take the grip over that any day....and it is a good work out for me too  :thumbup: .

I am not sure how they are going to be when I manage to get wider rims (in terms of frame and shock clearance) but will cross that bridge when I get there  :)

Having ridden Conti, Schwalbe and Maxxis, on Gauteng hardpack and rocky (Hakahana/Helderkruin/Thaba), I stick to Maxxis!!

Conti's (x king, M King): Really don't seem to hold up to my type of riding.

Schwalbe (Rock Razor, NN, Hans): Grippy but the outside knobs feel soft when cornering hard and just don't seem to hold the line. Almost like they fold in.

Maxxis: Harder wearing and hold up well to rocks and punctures!

Currently Running DHF 2.5/DHR2 2.3 on the trail bike and DHF 2.5/Ardent 2.4 on the DJ.

Really like the combos, but i'm switching the DHR2 for an Aggressor as rolling resistance is horrific :D

The 2.4 Ardent is a really nice tyre and more than capable as a front for longer distance type riders who want more volume.

Edited by NukeproofPeanut

Having ridden Conti, Schwalbe and Maxxis, on Gauteng hardpack and rocky (Hakahana/Helderkruin/Thaba), I stick to Maxxis!!

Conti's (x king, M King): Really don't seem to hold up to my type of riding.

Schwalbe (Rock Razor, NN, Hans): Grippy but the outside knobs feel soft when cornering hard and just don't seem to hold the line. Almost like they fold in.

Maxxis: Harder wearing and hold up well to rocks and punctures!

Currently Running DHF 2.5/DHR2 2.3 on the trail bike and DHF 2.5/Ardent 2.4 on the DJ.

Really like the combos, but i'm switching the DHR2 for an Aggressor as rolling resistance is horrific :D

The 2.4 Ardent is a really nice tyre and more than capable as a front for longer distance type riders who want more volume.

Thank you for the reply. I do appreciate it.

Thank you for the reply. I do appreciate it.

Maybe to answer your question directly, from your description, I'd recommend you look at the 2.4 Ardent for the front, and something like the crossmark for the rear.

It'll take a while for your son to find the tyres he likes though. It's quite a personal thing and depends on riding style, terrain and weight.

Edit: Just to add, the wife rides Schwalbe 2.25 Rocket Rons Front and Back, and loves them, but she also weighs like 49kg's and isn't an aggressive rider by any means.. So ya.

Edited by NukeproofPeanut