Shimano Deore XT gets Di2 technology

News bot

Sitting between the granite-hewn professional racers and the weekend warriors you’ll find a group of highly competitive and highly skilled mountain bikers. These are the privateers and the self-supported riders. These are the riders who put the hours in to keep themselves race-fit and have the skills to test themselves against the best. These are the amateur mountain bike racers. And these are the riders Shimano had in mind when it developed DEORE XT Di2 M8050.

Click here to view the article

I have a hard enough time keeping track of the battery on my Garmin. But I must say that never having to replace a shift cable again is quite enticing. I wonder if the next big thing after Eagle from SRAM will be an Etap Eagle.

As expected the frigging morons can't provide a 2 by or 1 by total cost. Yes I can add

I have a hard enough time keeping track of the battery on my Garmin. But I must say that never having to replace a shift cable again is quite enticing. I wonder if the next big thing after Eagle from SRAM will be an Etap Eagle.

The battery apparently last about 4 - 6 months, so it hardly needs to be on your mind very much.

Wait a minute, $150 dollars for the display. Seriously. A digital display for around R2250. Thats mental and the rear derailieur R4500ish. Shimano have lost their minds. Your rear derailuer is first in line to take a beating from a rock and die just like that. I for one would be too afraid to ride my bike with this kit on. I've broken 3 rds could be 4 I'm not sure. That an insane amount of money. No thanks. This money would be far better spent on a frame or a fork, something that won't explode when a rock gets kicked up or you cut too close to a boulder.

So converted the pricing for a lark. Absolutely mental. Yes Zuma is making this worse but even at R10 to the Dollar it would be crazy.

Front derailleur: $189 - R 2743.36
Rear derailleur: $293 - R 4252.94
MT800 digital display: $150 - R 2177.27
Single shift lever (for 1×11): $110 - R 1596.67
Two shift levers (for 2×11): $220 - R 3193.33
3x E-Tube wires: $70 - R 1016.06
Battery: $150 - R 2177.27
Junction box (for 2x): $29 - R 420.94

So a 1X11 setup without cassette, crank, chainrings, brakes, rotors, will cost you R 11 641.15. 2X11 will up that figure significantly. The XTR crowd might not see this as expensive but as a devotee of SLX I think this is crazy.

Is the digital display "compulsory" ?

I saw a comment on a different website saying that with the wireless connectivity, you don't need the digital display because it would come up on your compatible Garmin.

Not sure if that is correct, because I understood that the display doubled up as the brain box which included the charging port etc.

Read more here:

http://bike.shimano.com/content/sac-bike/en/home/news-and-info/news/di2-technology-lands-at-deore-xt-level-.html

Edited by splat

Why no setup that does away with a brain and has a single shifter, battery and RD. Finish en kla!

1x11 would be such a win with that. I seriously do not understand how that could be difficult. also.... USD 150 for a battery.... and USD 110 for 2 buttons in a casing..... seems a bit ridiculous.