TomTom Spark Cardio

stefanx

I recently saw the TomTom Spark in Makro and it seems to be quite a nice GPS watch when I looked at the flyer. Does anyone own one of these that can comment on how it performs and if it is a good all around watch for cycling, running, swimming? They sell for about R3k - R3,500kn new. I know suunto ambit and garmin forerunner are very strong competitors and probably better, but looking at price I was wondering about this item. Any feedback would be much appreciated, thanks!

Link to tomtom website below.

http://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/sports/fitness-watches/gps-watch-cardio-spark/black-large/index.html?icmp=personalised_content

post-31361-0-91999900-1460717802_thumb.png

I had a TomTom multisport before and my wife still has her runner.

They are great in terms of being simple to operate and just working really well.

Where they are lacking is in terms of battery life, but if you wont be doing more than 6-7 hour events then its not an issue.

I have to admit I like the idea of the bluetooth mp3 player built into it.

Hey Stefanx

I bought the TT Multi Cardio a few weeks ago from Due South on sale and if you bought it online you got extra 25% off so ended up paying R2400.

I have a Garmin 305 but was looking for HR without a chest strap and something with mobile sync. This watch (and the Spark) does both which is cool. Its very easy to upload your rides afterwards. It sync's via your phone and uploads it to Strava for editing easy peasy.

GPS lock is much faster than my old Garmin.

See the Spark has 24/7 tracking which is one thing I do also miss from my old Fitbit (but I can live without it for now). One thing I have noticed though is that the strap seems to scuff quite easily (however I tend to have the ability to pick the best line but stay off it 100%) but the screen is still fine. There are many options for replacement straps though for one day if you need it.

Would've loved a Fenix (who wouldn't) or similar but for the price of the TT I'm very happy with it.

Thanks for the feedback Rocket-Boy & Ferro. I like this watch as it looks nice on the eye and is not a big as other makes like garmin and suunto. You both made valid points that I will keep in mind if I decide to go this tomtom's route. I really like the suunto ambit3 watches but they are way over my budget. So for know I can afford a tomtom or second hand garmin/suunto. Anyways, thanks guys!

Interesting

How reliable does the heart rate wo strap work?

Any issues where it does not pick up or is inaccurate?

No problems so far with HR monitoring over a few short and one longer 4.5hr ride. The figures seem in the ballpark w.r.t. no real outliers or odd looking data. I know there is debate about accuracy of wrist based vs chest monitoring but i will leave that to experts. It works for me and worked better than my mates on the weekend who on the startline found out his chest strap battery was flat...