Tandems and Kids?

Thompson

I am certain that many cyclists find themselves in my predicament, which is that I am spending too much time cycling and not enough with my kids whom I love nearly as much as my bicycles. In an effort to solve this dilemna I decided to buy a Tandem so that my 6 / 8 & 10 year olds can share my love for cycling and I still get a regular ride in. However I have no clue where to start and after a few failed google searches have decided to post my queries here in the hope that some useful responses pop up. I need to know how to choose the size, what models are available, training programs for kids (how hard can one push them?), where to get best service and advice (I am loctaed in Gauteng) etc etc. Anything useful would be appreciated. Thanks T

Guest Big H

http://www.precisiontandems.com/artharmon.htm

Taken from this link!!!!!

WHY YOU SHOULD NEVER EVER RIDE WITH YOUR CHILDREN!<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

A WARNING FROM SOMEONE THAT HAS BEEN THERE ? DON?T TAKE IT LIGHTLY!

Posted on the [T@H] Listserve 12/23/02

The question:

Hi all, I need some help.

I have just won a KHS Milano tandem in the Recumbent & Tandem Rider magazine sweepstakes!

My question is whether I should keep it or sell it.

The response about says it all:

I would dump it.

If you don't, one of your kids might love it and then you might get stuck riding with them for thousands of miles throughout their teenage years. That would cause you to have a closer relationship with them than you might prefer and you might miss out on some of the natural teenage rebellion that most families endure. Worse still, their interest in cycling might spill into their adult years and they might become your friend as much as your child and you might get stuck riding with them as an adult.

Chuck, been there done that Harmon

December 25, 2002 - A note from Mark:

Chuck purchased his Burley Duet when his daughter was 11 and has shared more than 10,000 miles with her on a tandem. His daughter, now 22, has enjoyed bicycle road racing for four years with some cross and mountain riding as well. She is on a college cycling team.

It never ceases to amaze me that folks that enjoy riding will not make the time to share their passion with their loved ones, especially their children.  I have heard numerous repeated excuses ranging from ?my kid would never do that?, ?it costs too much?, ?my time on the bike is mine?, etc.  I have yet to find a single child that does not like to ride a tandem with their parents or someone else and if such a child exists, I would bet that the problem is not the child but the so called adult as they are doing something terribly wrong as a captain.  Bill McCready?s #1 rule  ?The stoker makes no mistakes? is of paramount importance without regard to the size or age of ANY stoker.  IT WORKS!

So? some will refuse to invest in their relationship and their children and no doubt save the money for a future use.  And what are the chances of needing that money for expenses incurred that may have been avoided had the child been afforded the opportunity to have a better relationship with their parents?  Hmmm?.. food for thought.  I for one will invest in my kids first? especially relationship building opportunities, tandem or otherwise.  And what is the real cost?  Really.  Think about it.  The dollar value spread over a period of years is minuscule (read dirt cheap) and generally much lower than just about everyone spends on some other hobby or sport that does not afford the same benefits of relationship building offered by spending time on a tandem together.

My hope is that my two precious daughters and  I will experience the same benefits as those received by Chuck Harmon and his daughter.  We are off to a great start!

Thanks for posting such a great perspective Chuck!

Off my soap box now!

Guest Big H

Look under this link for the Child Stoker/Kidback kits. They are quite expensive US$500-00. I have seen a kit made up locally. They used a standard BB Shell and clamped it to the seat stay. It worked quite well. I think it was supplied - or made by Koos who used to own Hatfield Cycles in the Kollonade in Pretoria. You can also get shorter cranks. Search on these two sites, http://www.precisiontandems.com/artkidbackinstall.htm ; http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/ as well as www.sheldonbrown.com for examples.

I for one cannot wait for the grandchildren to come. At least one of the tandems WILL be converted!!!!!!!

bought a tandem from Bikemax at the beginning of 2007. did the argus this year with my 12 year old son. finished in 4.19. rode only medium distance funrides 60+ k's every weekend from the middle of January. i worked like a dog up every hill but the stoker was able to talk and make jokes. every ride was a learning experience and my son enjoyed every minute of it. i secured the speedo on his handle bars and i made him responsible for that data. on our 1st ride we managed 75k's down O Kaapseweg, we managed to better that down helshoogte without pedalling and wanted to go faster in the Argus but held ourselves back on Chappies becos of S'bossie that was on the horizon. best cycling buy of my life.