Specialized bad after sale service.

Fat fish

Would not expect corrosion to settle in so quickly and not expecting it to come from a bike brand SPECIALIZED. They did not evens tried to accommodate me or offer to fix it. I am not asking them to give the latest 2016 frame, just need to be in the position prior the corrosion even if they offer me a replacement 2013 frame again, l'll exempt it gladly. I do have insurance and I don't think they are going to cover the corrision and will look at it as a manufacturing error. I agree with some of the readers that they got a very good product, but with that they should have good service to. No one is going to expect that any corrosion will take place so soon and I spoke to a lot of cycles and they all agreed that Specialized could of offered to fix it or replacing the frame.

After the warranty period has expired?  Why would they?

Would you expect the manufacturer of your car to repair it at their cost once it's outside of warranty?  Why is it any different for a bicycle company?

I don't mind a bit of Spaz bashing every now and then, but in this instance you are in the wrong, not them. 

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have had 2 warranty claims with Specialized. One a pair of shoes and the other a Roval rim. Both were replaced, no mess no fuss. Concept in Ballito assisted with a loan wheel while the replacement rim was sent and rebuilt. First class service. I didn't wait 2 years though.  

Would not expect corrosion to settle in so quickly and not expecting it to come from a bike brand SPECIALIZED. They did not evens tried to accommodate me or offer to fix it. I am not asking them to give the latest 2016 frame, just need to be in the position prior the corrosion even if they offer me a replacement 2013 frame again, l'll exempt it gladly. I do have insurance and I don't think they are going to cover the corrision and will look at it as a manufacturing error. I agree with some of the readers that they got a very good product, but with that they should have good service to. No one is going to expect that any corrosion will take place so soon and I spoke to a lot of cycles and they all agreed that Specialized could of offered to fix it or replacing the frame.

Treat your frame to some special love from Bogus :thumbup:

Would not expect corrosion to settle in so quickly and not expecting it to come from a bike brand SPECIALIZED. They did not evens tried to accommodate me or offer to fix it. I am not asking them to give the latest 2016 frame, just need to be in the position prior the corrosion even if they offer me a replacement 2013 frame again, l'll exempt it gladly. I do have insurance and I don't think they are going to cover the corrision and will look at it as a manufacturing error. I agree with some of the readers that they got a very good product, but with that they should have good service to. No one is going to expect that any corrosion will take place so soon and I spoke to a lot of cycles and they all agreed that Specialized could of offered to fix it or replacing the frame. At the end I am the loser of R23 000.

How moist is the place you keep your bike? 

What do your spokes look like? 

Corrosion is not a manufacture defect, this is a storage defect. 

Carbon repair and repaint will be like R1500. Not all is lost. 

Maybe in future cut down on the red sea salt scrubs for the bike :P

Just a misconception correction.

Limited warranties are not there for the consumer. They are there for the manufacturer. The key word is limited - limited in time and limited in what they cover. If they didn't exist there would be potential for claims for repairs and replacement for years and years after a sale.

Product warranties are a balancing act - a period long enough to instill confidence in the product but also to protect the manufacturer from claims ad infinitum.

I did not expect any corrosion issue within this short period coming from well know brand like Specialized. I am not expect them to replace my frame with latest 2016 frame, but only to fix it or to replace it with a 2013 frame, just to put me in the position when I bought the frame. I do have insurance on the bike, but they will not replace the frame due to the corrision and will look at as a manufacturing error. I am current in a position where I basically lost R23 000 and nothing to so for it.

The bike was standing in a room and the wheel set was eastons ea 90 slx and a set of Mavericks sl.

I did not expect any corrosion issue within this short period coming from well know brand like Specialized. I am not expect them to replace my frame with latest 2016 frame, but only to fix it or to replace it with a 2013 frame, just to put me in the position when I bought the frame. I do have insurance on the bike, but they will not replace the frame due to the corrision and will look at as a manufacturing error. I am current in a position where I basically lost R23 000 and nothing to so for it.

But again, you saw the problem in time and did nothing about it. You misbehaved, not specialized.

School fees are sometimes cheap and sometimes expensive, but they're only as valuable as you make them.

Get a repair quote and get it fixed and quit trying to make spez out to be the big bad Wolf.

Show us a picture of the area in question... 

It still doesn't change the fact you left the issue for 2 years and expect a result? 

How moist is the place you keep your bike?

What do your spokes look like?

Corrosion is not a manufacture defect, this is a storage defect.

Carbon repair and repaint will be like R1500. Not all is lost.

Maybe in future cut down on the red sea salt scrubs for the bike :P

That word!!! Eww

The bike was standing in a room and the wheel set was eastons ea 90 slx and a set of Mavericks sl.

Bikes just don't corrode, its impossible. There has to be moisture in the air. I know in our tack room at folks house the Mavic spokes rust a little as it may be a tad damp.

so 5 / 20 active topics have Spez as main konyn in them.....

Ps: seeing a bump on carbon is like seeing bump on your ...sack! Get it checked out asap, not 2 years later.

....that reminds me ....

If you ride a specialized, you might as well buy a Merida. They own more then 50% of specialized and frames gets made at the Taiwan factory of Merida. I reasonly had an issue with them and was very unhappy with the service and the product itself. In 16.11.2012 I bought a Specialized Tarmac pro frame and paid R23 000.00 for the it. With in a year I notice a small bump on the rear stay close to the derailler. I did not send it specialized, thinking it's nothing big. After 2 half years i notice the bump is getting bigger. The bike shop that I bought the frame from send it way to the head office and the assessment was that the area where the carbon and the aluminum joint is corroding. They declined replacing the frame as corrosion was not part of the the warranty and the paint warranty was only valued for 2 years. I have ask them how it can be possible that within in 2 year corrosion is taking place as the bike a standing in a room. They still refused to replace the frame. Can any one help and advise what can I do, as Specialized broken my confidence in there product. I never use to have this problem with my Giant and Trek frame and here I have tried one of the biggest brands in the cycling market and got disappointed. Every one that I have spoken confirmed that they should've replace the frame, but at the end of the day my mind is made up. I'm never buying any Specialized products and will not advise anyone to support them. I have realised that the product is over price and there is much better product on the market that offers value for your money.

Ok, so let's start at the beginning....

1.If you ride a specialized, you might as well buy a Merida - Then why not buy a Merida? Ohhh wait...you wanted the Spez sticker...

2. I did not send it specialized, thinking it's nothing big. - So now you, as a csutomer have taken it upon yourself to repalce teh entire warranty and R&D division of Spez? You deemed yourself qualified to inspect the bump, evaluate the severity and consequence of this "bump" and felt it was all good to keep in as is - Why moan now?

3.  2 year corrosion is taking place as the bike a standing in a room - Maybe a portrait of a bike will then suit the room better - bikes are there to be ridden, and I doubt any LBS will fall for the "i wrap it in tissues" excuse....1 lady owner, hardly ever driven sounds familiar...

4. ... my Giant and Trek frame and here I have tried one of the biggest brands in the cycling market and got disappointed - ​Nothing wrong with any of the brands - YOU are the reason for your own disappointment. Take your TREK/Giant frame to a shop now and try convince them its warranty...I dare you.

YOU neglected to report the problem to the OEM, but now you want to slate a product fro your incompetence....not fair dude.

5. I have realized that the product is over price and there is much better product on the market that offers value for your money. - This is just poor sour grapes, if this was your gripe with them, you would not have bought the frame... But wait...you wanted the stickers....its all about the stickers...

I dont think you have any legal grounds to stand on, and any reasonable person will consider YOU to be the problem, not the brand. 

I am pretty damm sure have you returned the frame once you saw the bump, you would have had a 2013 frame...for FREE...

I'm pretty sure your next frame wont stand in "The room: for 2 years before reporting a problem... School fees has been paid..

Edited by Neverfit