Specialized bad after sale service.

Fat fish

What if, "could be" is equivalent to "what if " ? :whistling:

Could be What if that your theory is correct, I'm no expert on carbon fibre manufacturing so i cannot say if what you suggest is a possibility.

I think its more likely that moisture got in after the initial manufacturing process, either due to poor protection on the surface of the base material (inadequate coating applied at manufacture) or via damage to the coating (scratches or solvent damage) after manufacture.

Very difficult to prove either

Fixed

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What if, "could be" is equivalent to "what if " ? :whistling:

Could be that your theory is correct, I'm no expert on carbon fibre manufacturing so i cannot say if what you suggest is a possibility.

I think its more likely that moisture got in after the initial manufacturing process, either due to poor protection on the surface of the base material (inadequate coating applied at manufacture) or via damage to the coating (scratches or solvent damage) after manufacture.

Very difficult to prove either

Exactly and in this case they decided to list the defect under the 2 year paint warranty, when clearly the mechanical part has failed. We know that much now.

Brings me to my point, seems a bit of a move to make it something it's not and based on that deny warranty.

I'm also feel that this is not acceptable , this was not caused by the OP not taking care of his bike or abusing it , this is clearly a case a poor materials not something anyone would expect from a premium brand like Specialized.

I for one would not easily buy a secondhand carbon Specialized after being made aware of this issue.

Edited by Jaws677

Interest article I find on the web.

I used to work in a bike shop that was a specialized dealer (in fact it was

owned by the British Specialized importers). We had a lot of trouble with

the early Allez epic carbon frames, as the bond between the lugs and the

tubing persistently failed. It transpired that the adhesive used was basically

water soluble, which became weak after immersion. This fault was obviously

kept rather quiet at the time.

Interest article I find on the web.

I used to work in a bike shop that was a specialized dealer (in fact it was

owned by the British Specialized importers). We had a lot of trouble with

the early Allez epic carbon frames, as the bond between the lugs and the

tubing persistently failed. It transpired that the adhesive used was basically

water soluble, which became weak after immersion. This fault was obviously

kept rather quiet at the time.

I seem to recall lots of chatter about this on the one of the UK road forums. I'll try to dig up that bit but it appears they're pulling a move on you. I'd take legal action.

Chatted to a mate o mine who helped a pal of his sort out a warranty on a Spez. He sai they had to jump through hoops then it turned out there were lots of downtube failures in the Gerolsteiner edition Roubaix.

Only once they brought this to the attention of Specialized USA did they start to get some action.

I've cancelled my order on that Venge.

Think I'm going to order a VR-1 or 695ZR instead.

I seem to recall lots of chatter about this on the one of the UK road forums. I'll try to dig up that bit but it appears they're pulling a move on you. I'd take legal action.

Chatted to a mate o mine who helped a pal of his sort out a warranty on a Spez. He sai they had to jump through hoops then it turned out there were lots of downtube failures in the Gerolsteiner edition Roubaix.

Only once they brought this to the attention of Specialized USA did they start to get some action.

I've cancelled my order on that Venge.

Think I'm going to order a VR-1 or 695ZR instead.

What do you mean "cancelled" your order, as per your post yesterday you never actually placed it....

"Was looking at a Venge,...........nearly paid deposit today but decided not to. Think I'll look for something with a more inclusive warranty."

Yes, I ordered but hadn't paid deposit. But hadn't informed shop yet. Sleep on it and wake up and know that you want to cancel to pick up phone, call shop inform them I definitely don't want it. I.e. expression of interest cancelled.

I can see this is going to lead to a techical discussion on "ordering" actually implying an exchange of cash. No I never placed cash on the table so I guess technically it wasn't "ordered."

gabeesh?

Edited by raptor-22

Have any one heard of galvanic corrosion that only take place between carbon and aluminium.

Some interesting information

Carbon, corrodes, you get galvanic corrosion setting up wherever there are metal inserts on the frame and the thing becomes one huge great. Carbon corrodes extremely slow. I'd be dust before it happens. However since carbon is more cathodic, it can cause more anodic metals such as aluminum to corrode faster

Yes I'm well versed in galvanic corrosion between dissimilar materials . Carbon is a great conductor and aluminum a lovely sacrificial anode. Without a layer of glass fiber or similar insulator between them galvanic corrosion is a big problem for the aluminum .

Hence I cannot see how they can hide behind their weak warranty terms unless they did not intend for the warranty to be a thing of substance.

Usually when there is galvanic corrosion between Al and a carbon composite, any whitish powder is aluminum oxide from the oxidation of the Al component. Where it shows up will probably be variable, but it will originate from the Al part. Point is, it may not show up under the paint bubble, if in fact it's a result of galvanic corrosion. On the composite side paint adhesion can be lost to something like hydrogen evolution as the reduction compliment to the oxidation of the Al part.

I am learning a lot and with this news it becomes very much clear they should actual replace the frame within the frame warranty and not under the paint warranty as they insinuaing.

I think they will be ignoring my finding and stick to there original decision. I'll still loosing out, as big brand like Specialized is not going to admit that they were wrong. Specialized fanatics and I was one of them, this is enough proof that my frame should have been replaced and not use a petty excuse of corrosion and not providing me with an explanation of what could of caused it. Is see myself as harden cyclist and with that I have always maintain and look after my equipment and making sure it gets it's regular service. Thank you for the hubber that stood with me and providing with all the informative information and for the hubber that loader the report for me, a special thanks you. But know I am looking for a frame. Anyone willing to donate one or start running and hopefully I will not have issue of running shoes corroding.

Hence I cannot see how they can hide behind their weak warranty terms unless they did not intend for the warranty to be a thing of substance.

All that OP bashing and one =guy makes the statement that should put a nail in the coffin  :thumbup:

Has the corrosion damaged the frame or only lifted the paint? If it only lifted the paint - Paint warranty which has expired.

If the frame is not damaged and is safe to ride get them to put that on the report... If it did damage the frame it should be under the frame warranty...

The material use in the manufacturing of the frame (cardon and aluminum Lugs) is the cause of the galvanic corrosion and it was not properly insulated from each other. Titanium lugs should've been used and no corrosion would of taken place. Both sides is infected and that is the reason questioning. 

Usually when there is galvanic corrosion between Al and a carbon composite, any whitish powder is aluminum oxide from the oxidation of the Al component. Where it shows up will probably be variable, but it will originate from the Al part. Point is, it may not show up under the paint bubble, if in fact it's a result of galvanic corrosion. On the composite side paint adhesion can be lost to something like hydrogen evolution as the reduction compliment to the oxidation of the Al part.

Has the corrosion damaged the frame or only lifted the paint? If it only lifted the paint - Paint warranty which has expired.

If the frame is not damaged and is safe to ride get them to put that on the report... If it did damage the frame it should be under the frame warranty...

Corrosion by its very nature is a degradation of a metals structure. Does that make it easier to understand?