Stan’s NoTubes updates Crest, Arch and Flow wheelsets

News bot

Can only be better. Also, AC rear hub engagement is unbearably slow and freebody is fragile. Stans Neo hubs will be much better.

No, sorry to disagree.

The 'slow' engagement issue has never bothered me and I have been on several sets of AC incl SS. I have and have had a few sets of 3:30 hubs and Crest wheels and can say with confidence that the AC freewheel and hubs are  more robust ( incl bigger bearings).

Wide lightning rims are Crest weight but Flow width ( also 107kg weightlimit) and cheaper than Crests, so I think an easy choice.

The Neo looks good.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

and the New Neo has an even faster engagement than the Hope. i see bearings are only 2mm smaller than the Hope4,s ...wonder if they will be noisy or quiet

Ride a Hope hub and you'll see just how slow the engagement is on the AC's...  :whistling:

I have owned Hope hubs and DT swiss, all with lots of engagement points and fast engagement and still no problem on the AC. I often see guys mentioning this as an AC problem, but I particularly like riding difficult terrain and on a SS the hub engagement would be perhaps even more crucial.

Obviously my 2c and personal subjective experience only.

I have owned Hope hubs and DT swiss, all with lots of engagement points and fast engagement and still no problem on the AC. I often see guys mentioning this as an AC problem, but I particularly like riding difficult terrain and on a SS the hub engagement would be perhaps even more crucial.

Obviously my 2c and personal subjective experience only.

engagement is only a problem when you're back-pedalling. When you're constantly on the power, the hub is permanently engaged. May be why you're not experiencing any issues with the low engagement - planning the climb properly according to the terrain. 

Hopefully they bring in a few 28h rims for us slow learners..... Like finding a honest soul in Lootfreely house.

Ride a Hope hub and you'll see just how slow the engagement is on the AC's...  :whistling:

Warning: Highjack on:

I had Hope/Archs and now ACWLs, since about 6000km.

While you have to watch the WLs rims for their sensitivity to impact damage I think the hubs are great. Super light and no issue at all to date. Still the first set of bearings.

I notice the engagement being slower but I always tried to understand the impact of it and why it seems to be so upsetting to many. I could see negative impact in trial type riding or very technical climbing but we don't really have this a lot here (Grabow babyheads climbs are not technical in this context...). So I am curious...?

HJ off.

P.S.: Good to see Stans progressing. Great products at the forefront of technology, always keeping sense to things...:)

Warning: Highjack on:

I had Hope/Archs and now ACWLs, since about 6000km.

While you have to watch the WLs rims for their sensitivity to impact damage I think the hubs are great. Super light and no issue at all to date. Still the first set of bearings.

I notice the engagement being slower but I always tried to understand the impact of it and why it seems to be so upsetting to many. I could see negative impact in trial type riding or very technical climbing but we don't really have this a lot here (Grabow babyheads climbs are not technical in this context...). So I am curious...?

HJ off.

P.S.: Good to see Stans progressing. Great products at the forefront of technology, always keeping sense to things... :)

So you didn't mention which you prefer if you had to take a set to the grave with you for the after life??

I love ZTR rims but.....The new Stans rims will sell for about R500 more than an equivalent (weight, width) rim from Spank or WTB which are easily as strong.

I've built loads of Spanks and WTB's onto various hubs and they're great. If you're not prepared to wait for the new Mk3 rims to arrive and are looking for an alternative, consider the WTB KOM, Frequency and Spank offerings.

I can't tell you how many destroyed Stans rims (Crest and Arch) I've seen in the shop. Guys don't realise they have weight limits. Build over onto similar weight WTB Frequency or Spank and problem solved.

Have seen only one broken WTB Frequency rim in that time.