Iwan Kemp

Evil Bikes entered the short and slack 29er category with their new bike, The Following. A full carbon affair, that uses a refined version of the DELTA link suspension found on Evil's 26” Uprising, The Following has 120mm of rear travel with adjustable geometry.

Click here to view the article

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Iwan.  Just to confirm, you rode this with a 140mm Pike up front?  So HA would have been around the 65.5' range in low setting?

Would this not have majorly impacted on it's climbing prowess, especially considering the recommended range of the manufacturer, and therefore perhaps been a bit unfair on Evil?  I know ou don't criticise its climbing, but I'm still left wondering whether it's not a better climber than you give it credit for if run within recommended ranges.

Thanks for the rad review Iwan and am stoked you guys had fun on it.

As per the 140mm PIKE I chose to fit instead:

As per EVIL Bikes in the FAQ section for The Following frameset one will find stated -- 

"What is the suggested fork length for the Following?

The Following was designed around 120mm and 130mm forks, but works well with a 140mm fork.This slackens the head angle to 66.4˚ Low and 67.0˚ High and makes for some ripping descents and cornering.

- See more at: http://evil-bikes.com/products/the-following/#sthash.an4mx9BD.dpuf "

Hi Iwan.  Just to confirm, you rode this with a 140mm Pike up front?  So HA would have been around the 65.5' range in low setting?

Would this not have majorly impacted on it's climbing prowess, especially considering the recommended range of the manufacturer, and therefore perhaps been a bit unfair on Evil?  I know ou don't criticise its climbing, but I'm still left wondering whether it's not a better climber than you give it credit for if run within recommended ranges.

Hi Nico,

Yeah Bibi answered part of your question. Cool thing is you can run a 140mm fork and sort some of the HA with the adjustable geo. 

Maybe it reads worse than intended: The Evil can climb - no problem with that. When I said long open sections I meant for people who ride gravel road vibes. Tokai to the mast this bike won't be the fastest as most pure XC bikes will chow it, but compared to it's peers it will most likely out-climb them. 

Even now I'm battling to put to words so EVERYONE will understand. Bikes are best discussed over a beer!

Let me maybe also add this: I haven't ridden a 29er that runs a 27.5" this close in terms of handling in the twisties and overall handling. There also hasn't been a bike that I've wanted to hang on to for the rest of my life* than this one.

* in Crow years!

Thanks for the review Iwan, I think you definitely need to ride this bike to understand what Iwan is trying to explain. Personally I like to ride the bike with a 130mm fork and set the rear in its Low setting but by going to a 140mm fork you maintain the BB height and get the slacker head angle which is what we were aiming for with this specific build.

We have a stage race XC version we built up with a 120mm SID XXWC fork and some amazing South Industries Carbon wheels which is amazingly fast yet still more playful than most bikes in its category.

Look us up and arrange a demo ride you won't be sorry!

This is a seriously sexy looking bike. I look forward to giving it a go some time.

Having ridden the 150mm travel 'Insurgent' for a few months now, I'd like to add to the climbing conversation that I spend most of the time in the fully open position on the rear shock, even when climbing. Evil's suspension design, more specifically the DELTA system, is surprisingly good at pedalling and climbing. I can only imagine how much better this bike must be than the long travel enduro bike.

" that uses a refined version of the DELTA link suspension found on Evil's 26” Uprising"

Yup, I've read enough. Where's the queue?

" that uses a refined version of the DELTA link suspension found on Evil's 26” Uprising"

Yup, I've read enough. Where's the queue?

Could have saved me a whole lot of typing!

Biggest question I'm left with though is "How does it descend?".  Where was it tested and what were your findings?  Especially since this is exactly what lead to all this bike's hype - it's basically a DH sled you can take on a long XC ride from what I've read elsewhere.

Perhaps this clip sums it up: http://www.vitalmtb.com/videos/features/ONE-LAP-Lars-Sternberg-Luke-Strobel-Xanadu,28310/iceman2058,94

Edited by NicoBoshoff

Biggest question I'm left with though is "How does it descend?". 

Like a 27.5" bike with 150mm of the best travel around that is on rails

Where was it tested and what were your findings?

Welvanpas Black, Jonkers Red, Contermans from the top, Zevenwacht's Bottelary Hill Trails. Apart from pure DH tracks there is nothing in the WC the The Following won't handle with confidence. 

Yes!

What else are you considering to buy?

Like a 27.5" bike with 150mm of the best travel around that is on rails

Welvanpas Black, Jonkers Red, Contermans from the top, Zevenwacht's Bottelary Hill Trails. Apart from pure DH tracks there is nothing in the WC the The Following won't handle with confidence. 

Yes!

What else are you considering to buy?

I'm leaning towards the Transition Smuggler, but will first test ride it in the next week or so along with a Banshee Phantom.  From what I've read these are basically the little brother and cousin of the Following, which is the Sith Overlord of small travel, slack AF 29'ers.

My decision is however made easier by the economic reality that I'm simply not in a position to fork out R50k for a frame.  Was considering the Following because it's everything I'm looking for in a bike, but I had a harsh wakeup call when I got the pricing.  My entire build will come in under the frame only price, so it's a bit of a no-brainer.

I think it's clear that our market has far more superbikes than it used to.  Two years ago it was the S-Works Enduro; now it's also the Following, the HighTower, the Nomad C etc.  In fact people sneer at those S-Works Enduros now. "Pfffft, stay away commoner!" 

And by the sheer number of these bikes on our trails I'm finding it incredibly hard to believe economists when they say our economy is struggling (then again those economists also point out the ridiculous levels of indebtedness of Saffas, so...).

Biggest question I'm left with though is "How does it descend?".  Where was it tested and what were your findings?  Especially since this is exactly what lead to all this bike's hype - it's basically a DH sled you can take on a long XC ride from what I've read elsewhere.

Perhaps this clip sums it up: http://www.vitalmtb.com/videos/features/ONE-LAP-Lars-Sternberg-Luke-Strobel-Xanadu,28310/iceman2058,94

Then there is THIS,.....

http://www.mbr.co.uk/videos/watch/watch-luke-strobel-win-a-downhill-race-on-a-29er-trail-bike