Improving Cycling in South Africa

Jimmy 2.0

Hi hubbers.

I am a first year sport management student studying at NMMU. Sport management is based of your chosen sport discipline and mine is cycling. I have been given an assignment  regarding my sport.

The question is, How would you market your sport in South Africa to increase the number of participants, sponsorship's and viewership to your sport.

I would just like to get your guys opinion on what you would do to market cycling in South Africa. 

Looking forward to seeing what your guys thoughts are.

thanks

• 2 years later...

Hi hubbers.

I am a first year sport management student studying at NMMU. Sport management is based of your chosen sport discipline and mine is cycling. I have been given an assignment  regarding my sport.

The question is, How would you market your sport in South Africa to increase the number of participants, sponsorship's and viewership to your sport.

I would just like to get your guys opinion on what you would do to market cycling in South Africa. 

Looking forward to seeing what your guys thoughts are.

thanks

For me, riding a bicycle is split into two major classes in South Africa... the haves and the have nots.

1) The haves pride themselves on buying equipment exceeding R20000... fancy bikes, helmets, gloves, glasses, cleats, GPS's you name it... They look the part even if they just weekend warriors.

2) The have nots use a bicycle (in various states of disrepair), and every now and then, a badly fitted helmet to get to work, conduct their livelihood and transport goods around...

Most of our marketing of cycling only makes sense, and appeals, to between 5 and 10% of people in South Africa actively cycling (the haves)...

Even our 'South African' brands like Pyga, Momsen, CapeStorm, FirstAscent are mostly out of reach for most South Africans riding bicycles.. 

So, how do you reach the 'have nots' and instil a love of cycling in them? And a respect for what South African cycling brands can do for them?

General notice that this thread was originally started in 2016, we didn't bother to help out then, so no real point in doing that now

Blame it on the BOT :ph34r:

General notice that this thread was originally started in 2016, we didn't bother to help out then, so no real point in doing that now

Haha just spotted that now.

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

If you have not noticed it yet, it is the year of thread revivals on the Bikehub this year.

Ha ha ha!!!