Quick Size Question...?

SeanGrey

Hi there, 

Still searching for an upgrade and was wondering if you guys could help regarding size. 

I have ridden Trek both Medium and Large frames before. I called a local cycling shop and asked them about a Medium frame. They suggested I should be on a large as most my height are?

I have done 2 online bike fits one more advanced one and one based on height and actual inseam. The one website said 17.5" bikes up to 19 at largest and the more advanced one gave me more measurements. Based on standover height, virtual top tube length and my height 1.79m if I went for a Trek or Giant I would be around a Medium (when looking at the bikes Geometry).

1.79 height

Actual Inseam 79.8cm

Arm 57.8

Lower leg 53.2 and thigh 58.2

My standover height should be between 75.9 and 77.45 and virtual top tube length 58.1 and 59.1cm.

The bikes iv been looking at were the Trek Superfly 9.8, Giant Anthem 27.5 (older model) Older Stumpjumper but think I would like 27.5 better.

Calling the shop just threw me off as I'm looking at getting a second hand bike from gumtree or here. 

Thanks for the advice! 

Sean 

Large. No doubt about it. As for those ETT measurements, have a look at the total length including the mahooooosive 120mm stem they'll spec on most of the bike fits, and calculate it with a far more reasonable 70mm stem. Thank me later. 

Don't worry about standover height. At most, worry about seat tube length IF you're speccing a dropper with more than 125mm drop. Otherwise, standover is meaningless in MTB. 

BTW - I'm 1.8m on the dot. On a large Giant Reign with 35mm stem. Perfect fit. 

Edited by Myles Mayhew

Large. No doubt about it. As for those ETT measurements, have a look at the total length including the mahooooosive 120mm stem they'll spec on most of the bike fits, and calculate it with a far more reasonable 70mm stem. Thank me later. 

Don't worry about standover height. At most, worry about seat tube length IF you're speccing a dropper with more than 125mm drop. Otherwise, standover is meaningless in MTB. 

Perfect thanks very much for the help! 

Perfect thanks very much for the help! 

pleasure, Sean. On a medium you'd have to spec a very long stem in order to make it fit, which then compromises handling characteristics and your confidence in the rough stuff. 

I couldn't agree more wil Mr Mayhew

I'm 180 and about the same on the other measurements. Through the years I've been through a couple of mediums (incl Giant). Currently on a large Focus with shorter stem. The bike just handles so much better than I ever expected (due to the longer top tube, and shorter stem)

Large. No doubt about it.

Exactly right.  Listen to the man and not the bike shop.  (I ride a Trek as well and went through this all previously.)

Thanks for all the comments! Good thing I posted on here! Will def be going for a large and will watch if I put in a dropper post  :thumbup: