Restricted gears - 17 yr old

NotSoBigBen

no, if he was 16 this year he was probably registerd as a u/16 rider and rode with a 52/16. When someone is a registered junior rider he must ride with a gear ratio of 52/14. This is the normal gear ratio most juniors use but the some junior use other gear ratio's because it all depends if he rolls in at the distance of 7.93m. Someone is a junior rider the years he turns 17 and 18. Hope this helps. Wink

That's great, any idea what would be the smallest cluster gear he could ride with if he has a 53 chain blade? Or even better if some kind of table/chart is available?

He has had Tiagra on his bike (up to today that is!) and had a 52/16 as you describe. He now has Ultegra 9 speed but it has a 53 blade. He will not be riding any races as a licenced u/16 for the rest of this year. He had a plate removed from his collar bone yesterday so will be taking it easy for now and will go all out again next year!

No I really don't know. I think you should maybe go to a cycling shop and ask them.....because it also depends on how thick the tyre is if the bike will roll in or not.... Just a word of advice, if he is interested in riding the junior tour for example he must ride with a 52/14 blade because at the tours they don't role in as the do at local races, but they count the gears. Else he will be disquilified

<?:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />MaonName>ximum gear restrictions for scholars are as follows:<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Under 12:    52 x 18

Under 14:    52 x 17

Under 16:    52 x 16

Jun Men:     52 x 14

Gear ratios<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

2.2.023 (N) For juniors men and juniors women, the maximum gear ratio authorised is that which gives a distance covered per pedal revolution of 7.93 metres.(text modified on 1.01.00).

The above UCI reg is the sole criteria regarding gear ratios for Juniors. The sizes of the gears are not relevant so long as the 7.93 metre criteria is met. You may find, depending on the tyres used, that a 53/14 combination will just fit into the distance. However, don't risk disqualification if not 100% sure!!!

• 2 years later...