Review: Cube AMS 100 C:62 Race 29

Kylie

Bike is currently on sale for R46k, per their Facebook page, just FYI.

Thanks for the heads up- bargain :)

It will be difficult to beat the CUBE AMS in value for money.

The only frameset available in SA seems to be the NINER for 32k. I don't think you can add a XT groupset + Wheels for under 15k.

Yes for 46k this Cube is unbeatable value. But then there is the Silverback Sesta for +-55k. Sesta has a claimed weight of 10.8kgs, 1x11 xt, Stans Crest wheels, SID fork, and award winning suspension design. So for standard price of 52k for the Cube the Sesta is better value.

Edit: Sesta head angle is 70.5 a bit better than 71

Edit: A small Sesta will suit smaller riders much better than the smallest Cube option. 

Edited by Mr X

Yes for 46k this Cube is unbeatable value. But then there is the Silverback Sesta for +-55k. Sesta has a claimed weight of 10.8kgs, 1x11 xt, Stans Crest wheels, SID fork, and award winning suspension design. So for standard price of 52k for the Cube the Sesta is better value.

Edit: A small Sesta will suit smaller riders much better than the smallest Cube option.

That was the other option I was looking at.

Now if only I could manage to track down a cheap Sesta frameset...

Cube and Sesta both very good looking bikes for me. Like them both. Very different suspension though, can one really compare them price wise? What effect will the suspension have on the ride comparison?

Cube and Sesta both very good looking bikes for me. Like them both. Very different suspension though, can one really compare them price wise? What effect will the suspension have on the ride comparison?

At this years Cape Epic the Novus OMX team where riding on Sestas. They finished 11th overall - I think one can assume they are pretty fast bikes as well :-)

Regarding the rear suspension - one thing to consider is that with the rear shock above the bottom bracket you'll need a lockout lever at the handlebar. Underneath the top tube it's easy to flip it with your hand.

And I really like my 2 bottle cages setup on the Cube. 

Edited by waveduke

To be fair, that's almost a R10k difference, which is a rather substantial amount of money. It does look like a great bike though.

The 2x11 is a great little addition and even late in the day, after a long hard ride, I never found myself searching for more gears. Also my first experience with the Fulcrum wheelset and I'm very impressed. Stiff and fast.

Thanks for the review!!!

I am not technical minded and the reviews I read online talks of "euro" design.

Is it because of the 71 degree head angle?

Or the build kit of bikes for long climbs in Europe?

See last years top model still has a triple chainset. 

Back to the head angle, will a weekend warrior feel the twitch?

Can you address this by using a fork with other offset?

Last questions, can you get the same effect by up sizing to get the benefit of two cages on frame, go with short 50mm negative stem? 

With regards to the steep head angle- I don't think a weekend warrior will notice or struggle with it. The head angle only become a bit noticeable on very steep rocky hiking trails (not the kind of thing you would normally tackle on an XC bike anyway). Unless you are very experienced with bike geometry I would not change the fork offset- it has probably been chosen by the designer with specific handling characteristics in mind.

In terms of size- It is a very personal choice and I would recommend either following the manufacturer's size guide or actually trying the different frame sizes to be sure of a good fit:

http://www.cube.eu/en/service/faq/faq-detail/article/how-do-i-determine-the-correct-frame-size/

Thanks, I have been looking forward to this review.

Having previously owned an AMS I can vouch that it is super fast. (Still on a Cube)

Did you compare times against similar bikes on a specific route or segment.

Yes- I rode the Rhodes memorial trails that I use for all bike tests, as well as trails in Grabouw and Hermanus and used Strava for comparison. I saw consistent PR's

Yes- I rode the Rhodes memorial trails that I use for all bike tests, as well as trails in Grabouw and Hermanus and used Strava for comparison. I saw consistent PR's

Thanks