Magoebaskloof Routes

Pall Catt

I was in the area this December and had a small sampling of the trails starting from Cheerio gardens.

Friendly folks - no permit needed but they advised that the easiest way to get around was to join the Magoebaskloof mtb group on Strava and follow the routes from there (the Cheerio garden parking area).

I really didn;t get in the amount of riding that i wished due to the amount of rain over the weekend I was there but, the yellow trail that I did was a bit overgrown in places and we got lost near the main road when the trail markings contradicted each other as to the correct route to follow. I should've just gone the Strava route.

Beautiful area though with lots of elevation. I d like to go back and try again.

Thanks for the reply Doring! Doing a long weekend at the end of Feb and keen to get on it.

Take your own or borrow a road bike and ride Magoebaskloof/George's Valley/Tzaneen/Magoebaskloof. 

That used to be a race.Stunning ride.

The Magoebaskloof classic still takes place every year in November. Was cancelled last year due to Covid but I am hoping they will have it this year again.

I have a podium there. My team mate one it that year.

When I did it the school was still a Hotel.We started and finished there

What blew my mind was sweeping around those bends going down Georges Valley in a slight mist with the rode damp and the sound of the tyres

Outstanding experience

• 2 months later...

We were in Magoebaskloof around the 14th of Feb this year and before we went there I checked all the websites and found the various routes mentioned (yellow, green, red etc) starting from Cheerio Lodge.

When we got to Cheerio Lodge the Saturday morning, we were told that it's pretty much impossible to ride any of the routes because they have not been maintained at all. Apparently the local tourism board is supposed to do this but it has basically fallen flat. 

Also, for security reasons, a lot of the farmers in the area have put up fencing and this has also closed some of the routes.

So, unless you meet up with some of the local riders who can show you around, chances are you will only get to ride the local dirt roads or tar roads and no single track.

I have also done the Magoebaskloof MTB classic many years ago and it was absolutely amazing. Its just such a pity that such an awesome place for mountain biking has not been maintained and it will take a lot of hard work to get it ready for tourists again.

444kms later I got to the start of the Green Route at Cheerio Gardens as shown in the GPS maps I managed to find online. I was definitely in the right place... It's where the Magoebaskloof Tourism website says you can start the trail, where the GPS route started and there were signs all over the place saying mountain bike trails blah blah blah. 

Long story short, the trails are not maintained and impossible to use! 

I phoned every place on route to ask if they had mountain bike trails and they all insisted they do, but none of them could tell me if the trails were maintained. It's terribly sad that a place with such amazing scenery and trails were not being maintained and not to mention a huge waste of my time and money! 

I wouldn't recommend that anyone tries going for a ride here unless you know the trails have been cleaned.

Very sad, we did go in Feb but decided against taking the bikes as it seemed a bit hit and miss. Just as well.

Hoping they can sort it soon.

We were in Magoebaskloof around the 14th of Feb this year and before we went there I checked all the websites and found the various routes mentioned (yellow, green, red etc) starting from Cheerio Lodge.

When we got to Cheerio Lodge the Saturday morning, we were told that it's pretty much impossible to ride any of the routes because they have not been maintained at all. Apparently the local tourism board is supposed to do this but it has basically fallen flat. 

Also, for security reasons, a lot of the farmers in the area have put up fencing and this has also closed some of the routes.

So, unless you meet up with some of the local riders who can show you around, chances are you will only get to ride the local dirt roads or tar roads and no single track.

I have also done the Magoebaskloof MTB classic many years ago and it was absolutely amazing. Its just such a pity that such an awesome place for mountain biking has not been maintained and it will take a lot of hard work to get it ready for tourists again.

Hmm, have a trip planned there for early May, looks like we need to re-assess our expectations to gravel grinding and some road riding.