Saddle upgrade

Spacekadet

I am not sure if this is covered somewhere else…could not find a thread.

I am looking at upgrading my saddle.  I am currently on a 29er hardtail with the stock saddle.  The time has come to give my largest contact point some well-deserved assistance.  I am a heavy rider (100kg+) and from time to time feel some numbness in areas that should not get numb.

I am thinking of getting a wider saddle (143mm or something in this range) and with a pressure relief channel. Current saddle is something like 135mm (I think) with no channel. Some recommendations from riders that have or had the same problem will be greatly appreciated.

I know a saddle is important, but do not want to take out n loan the finance it. I am thinking of spending R1000, is this sufficient or must I reconsider?

I am not from a big city that has a lot of bike shops, and the ones we do have, have limited stock.  I am close to JHB and PTA and travel there on a regular basis.  Which shops do you recommend to visit next time I am in the area?  Any shops that can do a proper fitment, and possibly loan me a saddle or two for a week to test?

Your best bet is to get a proper fitting. If that's not possible, there are a few way to measure your sit bones to get a good idea of what width will fit you best. Google it and you'll find some way.

http://www.artscyclery.com/learningcenter/measuresitbonewidth.html

http://bicycles.stackexchange.com/questions/9815/is-it-possible-to-measure-your-sit-bones-at-home

once you know the correct width, shopping online becomes a far less risky proposition.

anti-numbness saddles will have a channel to alleviate said numbness. I think Fabric make a few, as well as the Versus range from Fizik. Spez also make a few.

The best saddle ever made:

http://www.selleitalia.com/en/prodotti/road/pagina_flite/

145mm wide, perfect for larger riders and long days in the saddle.

Have one on my road bike and mtb. My bum thanks me for it.

The central cut-out option is called the 'Flow'.

One small thing is that you'll have to bump your budget up a bit. But honestly, your saddle is Not where you want to be making budget cuts on your bike.

Check Chain Reaction Cycles. Delivery right to your door.

Saddles are very rider specific.

Going expensive by no means guarantees more comfort.

As an example - the most comfortable saddle I've ever been on was a stock 2014 Silverback Sola 1 saddle and I've ridden Phenom, Fizik Arione vs, Selle Italia Gel Flow, Fizik Tundra, Fizik Gobi

So my advice would be to find a shop with a range of saddles that you can try out and see which one you like most.

I'm also 100kg+

You can also look into the Rapide saddle less than R400.I ordered from Kiwi and within 2 days delivered.

The saddle is very comfy and value for money.I have been using it on my idt(bike) and find it very comfortable.

I am going to order one for the mtb as well.

For my 110kg ass I love the spez Romin pro. The cutout is great. I'm on 155 wide and it's the best saddle I've tried of the many I have tried!!

You can also test various saddles at some shops. Phone around and ask who has test saddles. Sit bone width important though. Mine is 155! I really struggled to find something (I am also a heavy weight). After testing various saddles I bought a Selle SMP Extreme which is fantastic FOR ME...Priced cheap - 55euro from Deporvillage.com (shipped to UK)

http://www.deporvillage.com/sillin-selle-smp-extreme-medium-negro

ps local importers of SMP don't bring in this model...hence bought overseas

Edited by Spock

Thanks for the input.  To sum it up, get measured for sit bone width, test a couple of saddles and the cost does not matter. 

I have heard good things of the Selle SMP saddles, any idea of who stocks them in JHB? would like to give them a test.

Go to a Specialized dealer (no I'm not a Spez fanboy) and sit on the spongy sit bone measuring device -that should point you to the correct width. Then get one of their saddles. I would recommend a Power saddle - I've got 3 of them on my different bikes. Not sure what the cost of the cheapest one is though.