2018 Ironman 70.3 World Champs

gummibear

Lets start a list so we can track you buggers..

Shaper - 662

@ndy - 1394

Going to be in PE for the age groupers race on Saturday so will come cheer you on.

Leave again on the Sunday morning so won't see the Pro's race.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Going to be in PE for the age groupers race on Saturday so will come cheer you on.

Leave again on the Sunday morning so won't see the Pro's race.

You’ll see the female pros and age groupers. All women race on Saturday, men race on Sunday.

You’ll see the female pros and age groupers. All women race on Saturday, men race on Sunday.

That's great then.....Maybe Daniela Ryf breaks the WR again in PE  :thumbup:  :clap:

Is the swim seeding always set out like this? (very very mixed) surely it'll get a little crazy?!

(they're probably more jacked than I've ever been in my life but I'm really feeling for the 70+ category starting 3rd batch!)

It looks like they have tried to spread the bigger groups out amongst the smaller ones. Not so great if your in a medium sized group I guess. But with mine being one of the larger groups (40-44) I’m after the HC and PC and only get chased down by the 70+ guys so we get a pretty open course. I also see it’s self seeded within the age group so hopefully that works better with the smaller numbers.

I notice they say we don’t have to wear our numbers during the bike leg I could be wrong but I’ve always thought that was compulsory at IM events.

Also read that with regard to the race numbers for the cycle leg.  Only compulsory for the run leg.  As long as you have the bike number and helmet number then all is ok.  Maybe it is something new thy are trying out as it just flaps in the wind behind you on the bike leg and the referees can get your race number off the bike if you are going to get penalised?

Edit: where did you see the group sizes?

Edited by shaper

Also read that with regard to the race numbers for the cycle leg.  Only compulsory for the run leg.  As long as you have the bike number and helmet number then all is ok.  Maybe it is something new thy are trying out as it just flaps in the wind behind you on the bike leg and the referees can get your race number off the bike if you are going to get penalised?

Edit: where did you see the group sizes?

I didn't see the group sizes I just made a big assumption regarding the slot allocation.

At Durban, and as far as I'm aware other SA IM events, allocations were given in proportion to the amount of competitors in each age group. Hence I assume that there will be more athletes in the typically larger age group categories like those between 30 and 50.

Is the swim seeding always set out like this? (very very mixed) surely it'll get a little crazy?!

(they're probably more jacked than I've ever been in my life but I'm really feeling for the 70+ category starting 3rd batch!)

Three years ago Ironman introduced self seeding and rolling starts. This is the first time I've seen a race that has self seeding with rolling starts and also splits us into age group batches. It should make it easier to seed yourself but I imagine its logistically pretty hard to get right. At Durban this year it all started well then for some reason they allowed all the holding pens to merge meaning anyone who didn't get into their pen early enough had to queue from the back.

I hope it works as it will make the racing quite interesting, and if it can be introduced for the local events it will be great. I might be missing a woman's perspective on having this system for a mixed race though.

I think it will not be popular with guys who are going for the overall result as they won’t have a good idea of how well placed they are until after they are finished.

Edited by @ndy

Pro's racing start list http://eu.ironman.com/triathlon/news/articles/2018/08/2018-ironman-70.3-world-championship-pro-start-list.aspx#axzz5NlIKSH5E

Ryf and Gomez look to repeat while Hauschildt, True, Frodeno, and Brownlee highlight a stacked field of contenders for the South Africa-bound championship.

Quite a field and all the top contenders!!  

Edited by shaper

Pro's racing start list http://eu.ironman.com/triathlon/news/articles/2018/08/2018-ironman-70.3-world-championship-pro-start-list.aspx#axzz5NlIKSH5E

Ryf and Gomez look to repeat while Hauschildt, True, Frodeno, and Brownlee highlight a stacked field of contenders for the South Africa-bound championship.

Quite a field and all the top contenders!!  

Nice field, looking forward to the Gomez, Frodeno and Ryf, Lucy Charles battle.

How is the prep going, Shaper and @ndy? You guys should be in your last build block now? 

I see that Jade Nicole is on fire at the moment. I think there is a good chance she is going to be the first age grouper in. 

Edited by EmJayZA

we have just decided this weekend to drive through from cape town to pe friday after work and returning sunday after the race to go and be spectators.really looking forward to being there to chear everyone on and be awed by the speed of the top contenders.

How is the prep going, Shaper and @ndy? You guys should be in your last build block now? 

I see that Jade Nicole is on fire at the moment. I think there is a good chance she is going to be the first age grouper in. 

Hi EmJay,

I've just had my last recovery week and I have two reasonably hard weeks to go before I'm tapering. Training has been a bit frustrating with some injuries and a bit of sickness, I only qualified in Durban so fortunately I'm carrying some reasonable fitness from that.

Edited by @ndy