11-42T 10Spd cassette setup

stefanx

Hi all

This has probably been asked allot, but what size deraileur cage would be best for 11-42T cassette on a 10spd setup. I am currently riding a 1x10 setup with normal 11-36 cassette and 30T crank blade, but would like to get a rapide 11-42T  cassette for the bigger climbs and change my crank blade from 30T to 32T to add a little bit of speed. Currently using a Shimano XT (Clutch) medium cage deraileur. Is this to short for that extra stretch or would a long cage work better? Any thoughts info here would really help. Thanks!!

Link to rapide sunrace cassette

http://www.rapide.co.za/product/wide-range-10-speed-cassette/

Hardtail or full suss? For Hardtail a medium cage is fine but with a full suss I'd fit a long cage due to the chain growth that may occur when the suspension moves through the travel

Med cage ( GS) has been reliable for me with 11-42 on a full sus bike. Long cage is for 3x systems.

The more front rings the longer the RD needs to be.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

At the moment I have med cage and ride a silverback storm hardtail. So med cage should be fine by the sound of some of you...

I have a dual suspension bike with rapide 32teeth front and 11 to 42 teeth on rear cassette. I also have the x9 sram rear derailleur medium. It works perfectly. Alternatively you can mail Wayne @ rapide he will also assist you if you have questions regarding this setup. But I've never been happier with my gears.

Theoretically, medium should work, if memory serves correctly, calculation is diff between largest and smallest chain rings + rear spread to give total spread.

So in 1x front spread is 0, rear in your case is 42-11= 31

Total spread = 31 teeth.

Basic maximums are:

Short cage 29 teeth

Medium 33 teeth

Long  45 teeth

This is meant to ensure that the derailleur will be able to keep tension in all ratios.

With 1x, as you might want to change the front form time to time depending on where you are riding, it may be better to assume a front spread by deciding largest and smallest chain ring you are likely to use and factor that in just to have some capacity in reserve.

• 3 weeks later...

Theoretically, medium should work, if memory serves correctly, calculation is diff between largest and smallest chain rings + rear spread to give total spread.

So in 1x front spread is 0, rear in your case is 42-11= 31

Total spread = 31 teeth.

Basic maximums are:

Short cage 29 teeth

Medium 33 teeth

Long  45 teeth

This is meant to ensure that the derailleur will be able to keep tension in all ratios.

With 1x, as you might want to change the front form time to time depending on where you are riding, it may be better to assume a front spread by deciding largest and smallest chain ring you are likely to use and factor that in just to have some capacity in reserve.

Sjoe, quite a detailed description here, well done and thanks! Would you say 32T gear ratio would be better or can I stick with 30T?

Sjoe, quite a detailed description here, well done and thanks! Would you say 32T gear ratio would be better or can I stick with 30T?

For what it's worth, I had a 30t and I found it more than good enough for our trails. Only time you may feel it's a bit small is on long flat jeep track sections

For what it's worth, I had a 30t and I found it more than good enough for our trails. Only time you may feel it's a bit small is on long flat jeep track sections

Thanks for sharing! I currently run a 30T hope and it's still in pretty good shape so that will do.