How much money do I save?

backtobasics

Taking all cost into account, what is everyone's opinion on how much you save per km commuting compared to using your car? 

How long is a piece of string? All depends on the running costs of your car vs that of your your bike per km.

My car gives about 8-9km per litre (+-R1.41/km based on a petrol price of R12.00 @ 8.5km/l)). I believe you can at least double that amount to account for running costs (wear & tear, depreciation, etc.) I work on R3.00-R3.50 per km. Based on R3.50 per km, I saved R2 240 per month on my daily 32km (return) commute when I lived in Somerset West. Paid for my road bike in 4 months and I did it for 3.5 years. Cost a few tubes and lube: +-R400.

How long is a piece of string? All depends on the running costs of your car vs that of your your bike per km.

My car gives about 8-9km per litre (+-R1.41/km based on a petrol price of R12.00 @ 8.5km/l)). I believe you can at least double that amount to account for running costs (wear & tear, depreciation, etc.) I work on R3.00-R3.50 per km. Based on R3.50 per km, I saved R2 240 per month on my daily 32km (return) commute when I lived in Somerset West. Paid for my road bike in 4 months and I did it for 3.5 years. Cost a few tubes and lube: +-R400.

I need to create a power point presentation for my wife with the info :P

She works from home, so she just says, well I save much more.

I’m saving about R600 per week on Diesel.

The odd Uber sets me back about R200 per week so I have a Net saving of about R400 a week.

The only problem is that my damned car battery keeps running down from underuse.

I recently had to replace my battery and that set me back by almost 3-months.

I’m saving about R600 per week on Diesel.

The odd Uber sets me back about R200 per week so I have a Net saving of about R400 a week.

The only problem is that my damned car battery keeps running down from underuse.

I recently had to replace my battery and that set me back by almost 3-months.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41ZWKHYmXIL._SS500_.jpg

Get yourself a trickle charger, will protect your battery from damage during times when it is not used enough.

Very difficult to say.  When I started to commute I also worked out that the bike + kit paid itself in 6 months.  But there are other costs.  One tends to eat more as you burn more energy.  You do not include savings on medical bills as you are less prone to becomming sick but higher risk of being overrun by a car.

Here in Germany my transport is paid in the form of a month ticket to use the trains and busses.  So commuting to work costs me more.  But my quality of life is better enjoying the ride by bike to work.

Your car is heavy on juice!

Luckily my office is 1km from my house  :clap:

I wish I could commute to work. I'm sure I would have saved R1500+ p/m. Unless someone can advise me of a safe route to travel between Wonderboom South and Sandton.

I did a ROI calculation for my company a while ago, as I wanted them to buy me commuter stuff.

It was about a 2 month return on pertol savings. (Commuter shoes, Thule backpack and cable lock)

However, the increase in risk has them a bit nervous, and they want me to stop.

Edited by Patchelicious

I wish I could commute to work. I'm sure I would have saved R1500+ p/m. Unless someone can advise me of a safe route to travel between Wonderboom South and Sandton.

Were we neighbours?  Yes after Centurion you start running out of ideas in my opinion. I have a friend who commutes from Morelleta Park to Midrand every now and then but would not be able to advise futher.

The time saved - by the time I get home, I've done my exercise for the day, no need to go to a gym.

Yip.  If I do three commutes a week, I have done 215 km for the week and it cost me maybe 60 min extra for the whole week.  The rest of the time I would have spent commuting in anyway.

I need to create a power point presentation for my wife with the info :P

She works from home, so she just says, well I save much more.

ah, but you are saving loads in doctors fees by keeping fit.

Commuting on bicycle in peak traffic? Seems extremely dangerous.

Depends on where you live and work.

Were we neighbours?  Yes after Centurion you start running out of ideas in my opinion. I have a friend who commutes from Morelleta Park to Midrand every now and then but would not be able to advise futher.

Not sure if we were neighbours, but there is always a possibility. One can always use the Old JHB road ( R101 )after Centurion, but that road is so busy in the mornings and afternoons. And if you go through the suburbs ( back roads ), you will take forever.