First Look Friday: Giant Dirt-E, Specialized Ambush, and Fabric Line

Nick

First Look Friday is an introduction to the products that we are currently testing for review. This week we're previewing the Giant Dirt-E ebike, Specialized's Ambush trail helmet, and a Fabric Line saddle.

Click here to view the article

I dont get why the only saddle manufacturer I have seen do wider saddles is Spez.

As soon as a 155mm comes up in the classifieds its gone, so clearly there are a lot of wider boned people around.

I dont get why the only saddle manufacturer I have seen do wider saddles is Spez.

As soon as a 155mm comes up in the classifieds its gone, so clearly there are a lot of wider boned people around.

My Phantom is the only Spez item I own! 

Can by an ok motorcycle for 50k.

Are you allowed to ride the local trails with an electric bike?

For me, the Ambush is the best fitting helmet so far - comfy and doesn't look like a mushroom head whilst giving ample coverage. Pity the price tag, otherwise I'd have bought one already.

iXS trail lid is a close second for me.

Can by an ok motorcycle for 50k.

Are you allowed to ride the local trails with an electric bike?

Not NEARLY the same. And I own a motorcycle.

Not sure I understand the purpose of these E-bike. I mean, if you want a motor then buy a motorbike, if you want to pedal, then get a bicycle.

This thing is on the fence.

Not sure I understand the purpose of these E-bike. I mean, if you want a motor then buy a motorbike, if you want to pedal, then get a bicycle.

Don't get me wrong. I think an ebike is a great thing for the environment. If we just got rid of all cars and petrol motor bikes tomorrow in favour of ebikes the world would be a much better place. But in the minds of the public an ebike is an access concern on mountain bike trails.

Further I share your sentiment. If you are only trying to get from point A to point B as fast as possible you are not mountain biking you are commuting and I don't understand why you'd do that on an XC loop.

Pedal assist is very different to turning a throttle and going. The Giant also stops assisting once the rider reaches 25 KPH.

I'd love the option of a capable e-bike to "shuttle" when such assistance isn't available. Could get many more runs at the steep trails. There are many practical applications for sensible pedal assist bikes without needing to ban them from trails.

You really have to hop on one to understand. It's feels like a bicycle and nothing like a motor bike.

If you need it to assist you at parts, then it's compensating for lack of fitness and or skill and thereby defeats the purpose of cycling which is about pushing the human element to the best of its ability.

It would be great from an environmental point of view if you were looking at getting rid of motorbikes amd replacing with these which I doubt will happen.

Soon there will humans integrated into these bikes, something like a bike transformer....lol

What if you were once very into mtb but for health reasons couldnt get up the hills anymore?

Do you stop riding or get an e-bike?

Same thing if you want to enjoy local trails with a significant other that cant keep up with you.

The point Im trying to make is e-bikes have a place.

Edited by Rocket-Boy