4 weeks to train for a stage race

Morning

I have just under 4 weeks to train for the Great Zuurberg Trek and am very underprepared. Have done many stage races before, but the last 2 years very little riding. Did a 4 hour 75km MTB ride yesterday and felt pretty tired.

So, how do I train in the next 3 weeks? 

Hard, how many days a week? What sort of intensity?

Not too much? Its too late to make much improvement?

Advice would be appreciated.

Firstly, don't chase any result

Turn this into an adventure experience

It's too late for chasing

Try to be in the saddle for 80% of the distance / elevation / estimated time as often as possible.

Try to do this over consecutive days (at least 2-3 days at least a few times m)

Be sure to taper in the final week and get to a good freshness at the start.

Test your nutrition as well - what and at what intervals

Sterkte

Try and get hours in the saddle. Obviously start a little slower and build it up as you go along. 3 weeks is little time, but it better than no time at all.

• 2 weeks later...

Morning

I have just under 4 weeks to train for the Great Zuurberg Trek and am very underprepared. Have done many stage races before, but the last 2 years very little riding. Did a 4 hour 75km MTB ride yesterday and felt pretty tired.

So, how do I train in the next 3 weeks? 

Hard, how many days a week? What sort of intensity?

Not too much? Its too late to make much improvement?

Advice would be appreciated.

Most importantly, you'll need to try and bundle up those nerves and excitement to prevent yourself from going out too hard during your training rides leading up to the race. My suggestion would be to try and get in as many rides as possible during the week, but instead of making them short, high intensive interval sessions, rather focus on keeping in an aerobic zone and go for distance. You can do this for up to 4 or 5 rides a week, and throwing in 1 or 2 short, high intensity rides (like hill repeats for example) on those days you can't make a longer ride. Each week, try add on 10% to your total ride time, but just make sure to taper off the week of your race, doing only 2 - 3 short rides with some high cadence sprints to keep the legs ticking over leading into your stage race...

Hope this helps, and good luck for the race!

Feel free to drop me a mail (info@pureathleteperformance.com) or DM if you'd like any further help or advice!