Tough conditions bring out the best of Para World Cup competitors

News bot

For the majority of cyclists, racing competitively in wet, treacherous rainy conditions would be enough to raise the senses of fear and adrenalin. The experience and privilege today however of watching Para-cyclists from across the globe racing for gold and also for points to keep Rio Olympic dreams and hopes alive, was not only invigorating and challenging, but instilled immense respect and sheer admiration for these incredible athletes who will stop at nothing to achieve both personal and team honours.

Click here to view the article

Three years ago I was on holiday in Witsand in the Western Cape.  One morning I went for a ride on the main road leading to the N2 and about 7 km outside of Witsand I heard this swooosh sound and a guy on a three wheeler passing me as if I was standing still. I thought to myself there is no way that this guy can maintain that speed and I should soon catch up with him.  When he disappeared over the horizon I gave up.  I then did not want to turn around, thinking he might come back and overtake me again.  I kept going and about 15 km later he came from the front still going at the same speed! Turn out it was Ernst van Dyk on a training ride. The distance and speed that he can cover is phenomenal and I think few riders can complete 49km in 1 hour 49.  Hats off to him and well done to a true champ!