Bike racks options for Chev Utility

Funky

Hi guys,

Looking for some advice, 

I have a Chevrolet Utility (2013) with no tonneau cover on at the moment.

I am looking at options for carrying 2 bikes on the back of a Chev Utility (1 MTB bike & 1 Road bike), that will allow for the bikes to be locked onto the carrier as well. that is not too costly. 

I was looking at the option below, from Thule, but not sure what other options are available & looking for some advice.

Thule Bed Rider 822XTR

http://www.thule.com...22xtr-_-1689832

I would possibly want to add on a tonneau cover on later on, but not sure about it.

Thanks in advance,

post-12365-0-46578800-1462857814_thumb.jpg

post-12365-0-67043700-1462857821_thumb.jpg

Hi guys,

Looking for some advice, 

I am looking at options for carrying 2 bikes on the back of a Chev Utility (1 MTB bike & 1 Road bike), that will allow for the bikes to be locked onto the carrier as well. that is not too costly. 

I was looking at the option below, from Thule, but not sure what other options are available & looking for some advice.

Thule Bed Rider 822XTR

I would possibly want to add on a tonneau cover on later on, but not sure about it.

Thanks in advance,

It works like a charm. Tip:mount the rack at the back (near the tailgate. It works easier and then you can still install the roll up type tonneau cover. Also make sure you get the appropriate adaptors for different axels (QR, Thru-axle etc). The adaptors are crazy expensive.

It works like a charm. Tip:mount the rack at the back (near the tailgate. It works easier and then you can still install the roll up type tonneau cover. Also make sure you get the appropriate adaptors for different axels (QR, Thru-axle etc). The adaptors are crazy expensive.

Thanks Talus, appreciate it.

Out of interest, what the rack cost you, & I presumed that it came with adaptors for 2 bikes out the box.

Is this not the case?

Thanks Talus, appreciate it.

Out of interest, what the rack cost you, & I presumed that it came with adaptors for 2 bikes out the box.

Is this not the case?

I cant remember cost. Ready to fit QR only out of the box. Any thru-axle type adapters are bought separately.

Easiest and cheapest is to hang them off the back, and get a braided steel cable (12mm thick) and lock them to the tie down points in the bin. Only outlay is for the cable and lock. Also easiest for loading. If you want something to protect the frames against the bin you can use a dog blanket which you wrap around the tailgate

I cant remember cost. Ready to fit QR only out of the box. Any thru-axle type adapters are bought separately.

Ok, thanks again Talus, appreciate it.

Easiest and cheapest is to hang them off the back, and get a braided steel cable (12mm thick) and lock them to the tie down points in the bin. Only outlay is for the cable and lock. Also easiest for loading. If you want something to protect the frames against the bin you can use a dog blanket which you wrap around the tailgate

Thanks Myles, appreciate it.

You would'nt happen to have a photo of this would you.

I am just trying to picture what this would look like, & not sure if I am correct, but think I understand the concept.

Would this suffice for long distance trips as well.

Thanks Myles, appreciate it.

You would'nt happen to have a photo of this would you.

I am just trying to picture what this would look like, & not sure if I am correct, but think I understand the concept.

Would this suffice for long distance trips as well.

Absolutely. For a premade solution, Dakine makes a tailgate pad with securing straps. Google search for Dakine tailgate pad and you should find many pics of it in action

I have a system which works 100%

Square tube the width of the bakkie on the floor. A piece welded in the middle about 200m to give the unit stability without falling/rolling over.  

Onto the base bar I have holdfast Qr's and the bike is put in backwards and clamped on using the QR.

This enables a canopy to fit over the bike.  Cheap, easy, quick loading, removable, stable.

Works for me, both road and MTB

Edited by Sepia

Hi guys,

Looking for some advice, 

Thule Bed Rider 822XTR

Thanks in advance,

I'm getting mine tomorrow(Thule Bed rider)Will give some feedback as soon as I can.

• 3 months later...

I'm getting mine tomorrow(Thule Bed rider)Will give some feedback as soon as I can.

Feedback on option? I'm also still wondering about whether the 29" fits into the Corsa loadbin lengthwise without the removal of the front wheel (with the Thule solution) as would be the case with the PVC pipe solution. Any takers?

Feedback on option? I'm also still wondering about whether the 29" fits into the Corsa loadbin lengthwise without the removal of the front wheel (with the Thule solution) as would be the case with the PVC pipe solution. Any takers?

Busy fitting plumbing to our MTB lodge bathrooms, will use the offcuts to assemble a test unit and take some pics. Will do before Friday.

Edited by Billaridoo