Iwan Kemp

Yes, but I am fastidious, as always.  :ph34r:

Like these pics from the past Junior WC race at Cascades.  Both pics are Sesta's.  2 racers.  Both had to pack up after one lap.  But then, pretty much half the field had to abandon.  :w00t:

attachicon.gifsesta_mud_1.jpg

attachicon.gifsesta_mud_2.jpg

That's the problem with most of the lighties and Saffers in general. They have one pair of favourite tackies for their bikes and don't take mud tyres to races. I have changed tyres minutes before the start at Nationals in the past, people looking at me like they know I am mad, only for them to later wonder how the heck did I manage the mud so well. 

Locals have also not learned from the up and coming has-beens with a very bright future behind them. If it is stupid-muddy, then you wipe the whole frame down with silicone spray (dispense onto cloth first) or spray and cook. 

Mud tyres are not open tread 2.25" tyres. They are open tread 1.8 or 1.95 max.  My personal favourite is/was the Bontrager Mud-X.

Personally, I ride a Sesta. I might not be as fast on a flat or a climb as I used to be but most of the time and especially on the descents I ride it like I stole it and these sleds rock(et). This bike has a sense of poise, balance and unreal tracking on a descent that I have yet to encounter in another competitor.

Best handling 29'er I have ridden, and I have ridden many.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Like these pics from the past Junior WC race at Cascades.  Both pics are Sesta's.  2 racers.  Both had to pack up after one lap.  But then, pretty much half the field had to abandon.  :w00t:

I watched that race, there wasnt anyone with turning wheels and most of the field abandoned after the first lap.

It was mad how riders were ditching their wheels and carrying frames.

Anyway, I was nitpicking.

For affordable XCO dual sussers, there are basically this new Sesta, the Vipa, and what else? My son likes the Canyon Lux, but I told him to forget about that one as they don't ship to SA AFAIK.

This is why I am keeping my eye on the Sesta.  He will be racing Juniors next year, and the courses keep on getting more and more technical.  Which is where these machines comes in handy.

Anyway, I was nitpicking.

For affordable XCO dual sussers, there are basically this new Sesta, the Vipa, and what else? My son likes the Canyon Lux, but I told him to forget about that one as they don't ship to SA AFAIK.

This is why I am keeping my eye on the Sesta.  He will be racing Juniors next year, and the courses keep on getting more and more technical.  Which is where these machines comes in handy.

This one time, when I was very young, my dad almost bought me a pair of rugby boots....almost.

Rocky can run a 2.4 conti x-king on the rear of the element.

Those run narrow, don't they?

A bit unfair using that event as an example. Lesson learned (hopefully) to have some mud tyres in the spares box at all events.

If i was a race snake then this would be on my want list.Looks awesome with the the orange Fox...just needs some orange grips.

This one time, when I was very young, my dad almost bought me a pair of rugby boots....almost.

Me too.  I had to make do with my mom's dikwiel from the 50s.

The things us dads will do to keep them off the Playstations and PCs.  And it's working. His hero changed from being a game blogger to Nino Schurter.

Edited by Moridin

I wouldn't say that since a mat had canis and is now running the x-kings.That said. Sesta is a stunning bike.

Cool. Just wish all companies would actually list the width a la standard. It's not difficult.

So which Specialized tyre will make a good muddy tyre for the back?  I can't afford the high-end stuff like the Vittorias, Maxxis and Conti's.

Right now we are running Fast Track on the back, and Purgatory on the front.

EDIT:  He used to run Onza Canis on both wheels, but he prefers the Purgatory on the front as it has better grip (according to him).  And the Onza Canis is also now getting quite expensive.

Edited by Moridin

Howcome the ladie who owns the bike in the video has those crappy XX brakes and not Sram Guide or Level?