Death to the saddle bag...long live the saddle bag!

edgarblount

Let's not forget the resurgence of the actual fanny pack not that it's becoming a #Enduro staple.

http://brimages.bikeboardmedia.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Dakine-Enduro-Hip-Pack-9L-2-600x400.jpg

http://brimages.bikeboardmedia.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Hunter-Fanny-Pack-3-600x400.jpg

Nah... me neither. That looks as comfortable as slipping on the budgie smugglers and spending a day on the Camps Bay strip. Just not good for anyone.

Via Bike Rumor 'Fanny Pack Shoot out'

I ride with a small K-way one and can't feel it most of the time.

Rain jacket fits in nicely.

post-5455-1463066975,812.jpg

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

People want to strap things to their frames, attache funny bomb holders to their bikes and put funny bottle cages behind their seats, but they refuse to carry a hydration packs  :wacko:  ^_^

I have enough stuff in my hydration pack to service the mtb tandem on the trail.  I am used to the weight  :blink:

For me it's not about the weight, but the ventilation, or lack thereof with a backpack. But maybe I must just buy a nicer one with better ventilation.

I really dislike the noise from all the stuff rattling inside a saddle bag. And most of the cheap ones eventually tear.

I like that saddle roll, that should be noise free  :thumbup:

Edited by Jacquers

I used to use a saddle bag years ago, went through three of em, all broke.

Now i just carry some stuff in my pockets, not ideal but it works ok. I carry the following:

Multitool that has a chain break and tyre levers.

Quick link

One Bomb with attachment

Parktool tyre repaire patches

Tyre plugs and tool to insert em

Thats about it

I ride with all my stuff in a man bag, that fits into my shirt pocket, my wife has one too, but we call her's a purse.

This is what I do when I ride the old classic racer on the road and I feel like looking the part. Mine is a neat black leather version and I call it "the bomb bag". It always stay packed so I know if I stick it in my middle back pocket I have everything I need to fix a puncture or a minor breakdown.

On my mtb and my everyday roadie, I permanently leave all the bits in a saddle bag on the bike. That way I know I just have to grab bike and go.

I hate unnecessary logistics and I like keeping things simple.

Specialized has this Bandit saddle thingie, but it requires one of their SWAT compatible saddles because it screws into the underside.

http://14761-presscdn-0-15.pagely.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/Aneeke-Beerten-06381-810x540.jpg

http://cdn.mos.bikeradar.imdserve.com/images/bikes-and-gear/components/saddles/1443417561093-1sav0pkgfyecz-960-540.jpg

Ag nooit.

Thats a *** idea. Will rather have a Spar bag hanging from my saddle than this crap.

Tube under saddle (spare quicklink taped to base of saddle)

Cable ties and tire gator under chainstay protector

Spez swat multi tool

Spez swat chain breaker (includes powerlinks)

2 bombs and inflator under downtube (plastic cover over inflator)

Sahmurai tubeless repair in bars

Spare hanger and gorilla tape in pocket on longer rides

post-3382-0-65535000-1463075004_thumb.jpeg

post-3382-0-47343500-1463075113_thumb.jpeg

post-3382-0-34625200-1463075277_thumb.jpeg

post-3382-0-12918500-1463075295_thumb.jpeg

post-3382-0-30401300-1463075369_thumb.jpeg

Spare tube rolled up and taped to the frame under the bottle cage.

Pump and tool bag in my pocket

(Although, to be honest, i reckon my roadie pocket pump is a bit pansy for trailside use)

Now thats the way to roll. In fact I dropped the pump and added 6 co2 bombs with those special brackets. 2 mounted under the water bottle cage 2 on the seat post and 2 in the small tool bag.

Some of these okes look like they gonna go service a car on the road. :eek:

just a whole lot of cock & bull - posers!

ride with what you are comfy with, over time you come to realise what works well/or not where. 

i ride with almost bikini like saddle bag. just the most important goes in, and a few bob safely tucked in for a lekker espresso or two along the ride.

One of the better sake bags I used was a spaz one.

Tough and clever material selection, water tight zips, could be strapped up under the saddle with minimal, if any play/movement at all.

It did cost a little more than the run of the mill saddle bags, but it lasted far longer than any other saddle bag I have ever used before.