Flat pedals

igg

So I've finally decided to switch to flats. I tried to order a set of five ten freeriders, sadly no stock in my size in the country :(, so now I'm just shopping for the pedals.

I know about the Saints and the Giants; what are my general options in ZA for a price limit of R1.5k?

Is there a big difference between completely flat pedals and ones that are more concave in the centre?

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So I've finally decided to switch to flats. I tried to order a set of five ten freeriders, sadly no stock in my size in the country :(, so now I'm just shopping for the pedals.

I know about the Saints and the Giants; what are my general options in ZA for a price limit of R1.5k?

Is there a big difference between completely flat pedals and ones that are more concave in the centre?

For R1500 you should be able to get very good flats. 

I have a pair of Saints and they are awsome. Great grip and nice low profile design

Nothing better than Spank Spikes in my experience ...... especially with FiveTens

Edited by trail - er - park

Thanks for the suggestions.

My personal choice for R1,500 would be either the chromag low profile ones (forget the name) spank spikes or the new Kore pedals. Saints are great as well, and at a lower price point.

These things? Was looking at these and wondering if the lack of pins in the middle is going to be a huge issue.

http://p.vitalmtb.com/photos/products/11664/photos/10548/s780_Pedal_Torsion_SX_V2_Blk.jpg?1357587187

Thanks for the suggestions.

These things? Was looking at these and wondering if the lack of pins in the middle is going to be a huge issue.

http://p.vitalmtb.com/photos/products/11664/photos/10548/s780_Pedal_Torsion_SX_V2_Blk.jpg?1357587187

No, there's a newer one. Slimmer... but no, just the outside ones that matter. And whatever you do, PLEASE get ones with pins that go all the way through. Otherwise rocks are gonna munch them left right and centre. Busy battling with that myself. Pins getting lost every ride.

I've been riding the snot out of a pair of Saints for just over a year now. You can't go wrong with them. I'm a big chap. When I started with the Saints I was pulling the scale at +/- 120kg. Down to 100kg as of today. Whatever flats you choose, have fun! :thumbup:

I'm leaning towards the saints, I've just never seen them in any shops in JHB. I've hardly seen any flats in jhb for that matter, nor people who use them. XC much?