Flat pedals

igg

And the pedals have a new owner. :clap:

And I have some leftover funds to get some lessons [emoji3] .

Next step is to try find some shoes.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And I have some leftover funds to get some lessons [emoji3] .

Next step is to try find some shoes.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Damn, you just scored a sweet deal !

Enjoy and preach that flat pedal gospel bro

except he's got flats... from my (limited) reading, the AM45's don't particularly like flat pedals. 

You are probably right. :thumbup: 

Hi guys,

may I ask a stupid question?

Please preach to me about the flat pedal gospel so I can understand?

is it for Downhill only? Do you not have more control with cleats?

Please enlighten me so that I can maybe convert as well? I have been playing with the idea but cannot see myself changing.

awaiting some good advice.

Hi guys,

may I ask a stupid question?

Please preach to me about the flat pedal gospel so I can understand?

is it for Downhill only? Do you not have more control with cleats?

Please enlighten me so that I can maybe convert as well? I have been playing with the idea but cannot see myself changing.

awaiting some good advice.

Nope. And nope. 

Not for DH only. Do not have more control with cleats, and in fact they teach you bad technique if you go on them without first learning how to do things using flat pedals. 

There's a caveat there though. 

IF you have the proper technique, and IF you know how to handle a bike properly, cleats will provide you with a slight edge when it comes to clearing stuff, or swinging the back of the bike around, and a couple of other things, purely because there's a connection between you and the bike. They also allow you to pull up on the pedals for that all-out sprint, but TBH hardly any of us actually use that to the full extent that we can on FLAT pedals, and therefore the "benefit" of the pull is hardly there. 

Flats teach you proper technique. If you don't learn how to, they WILL punish you by carving scars in your shins and calves. You learn quickly though, and you learn just how to handle your bike properly without having to rely on the crutch that is cleats. 

They also allow you to position your foot how YOU want it positioned, not locked into one position which may be better for climbing but not for descending. Also far easier to jump on the bike for a quick ride down to the corner shop... 

But check here for a more detailed rundown on the benefits of flat pedals...

http://www.bikejames.com/strength/the-flat-pedal-revolution-manifesto-how-to-improve-your-riding-with-flat-pedals/

What Myles said. Bike James' Flat Pedal manifesto is what convinced me to take the flat pedal plunge, and I have not regretted it. 

I have been riding with flats for about a year now, and have found that my skill level and confidence improved greatly in that time.

I just recently put my clipless pedals back on as I'm training for my first multi day event. I found there was only a very slight advantage on long flat sections and on long climbs, but this I only started feeling on 40km+ rides.

I went for a ride at Bloemendal this weekend on flats. After one lap around there I went back to the car and fitted my clipless pedals, thinking I'll have a bit more confidence on the jumps. I felt so unnatural being fixed to the bike, and was actually slower at times.

Also, when learning how to ride, start with flat pedals. You don't want to perform a manual and then lose control. I did that, and landed flat on my back because I couldn't unclip and my brain didn't send signals to right hand to pull the rear brake lever.

I went for a ride at Bloemendal this weekend on flats. After one lap around there I went back to the car and fitted my clipless pedals, thinking I'll have a bit more confidence on the jumps. I felt so unnatural being fixed to the bike, and was actually slower at times.

Also, when learning how to ride, start with flat pedals. You don't want to perform a manual and then lose control. I did that, and landed flat on my back because I couldn't unclip and my brain didn't send signals to right hand to pull the rear brake lever.

You have to persist when going to flats - at least 5 rides - once there you will not go back.

I would not use flats on all terrains though.