Flat pedals

igg

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Last week I bought an old bike for commuting. It has very blue flats... Think it's got "V8" stamped on it. What I like is that I can put my feet down, get on it anytime I like (like taking the kids around the block/bread-and-milk-run).  What I don't like is my toes are going numb(although that is most probably because I'm riding with my running shoes), and I cannot bunny hop.

Still undecided...

Edited by rickus_viljoen

Last week I bought an old bike for commuting. It has very blue flats... Think it's got "V8" stamped on it. What I like is that I can put my feet down, get on it anytime I like (like taking the kids around the block/bread-and-milk-run).  What I don't like is my toes are going numb(although that is most probably because I'm riding with my running shoes), and I cannot bunny hop.

Still undecided...

The DMR V8's...indestructable, not not a large platform and pins are hard to replace. Rode mine for about 4 years and eventually replaced em...more for cosmetic reasons than anything else

Thanks to this forum's flat pedallers :thumbup: , I replaced the standard pedals on my bike with a pair of Giants (~R400) and even though I'm still riding with a well worn pair of HiTec hiking shoes, the difference in grip was enormous.

The next question is (sorry to hijack the thread, but seems relevant):

Which shoes can you get locally, and where? Or should I just order Five Ten's from CRC, and if so, what the difference between FreeRider, Impact, etc?

I was a convert some time ago after reading the Bike James article and advice from hubbers.

At first, it sucked, as i had been riding cleats for years and years but then after a few rides i started to get used to it and now loving the freedom.

I feel more confident in that i can put my foot where i want it and if i get something wrong i put a foot out and its sorted or at least less problematic if that makes sense.

The only way to know is to get some flats and shoes amd give it a try but you must do it for a couple rides to get the feel for it.

The DMR V8's...indestructable, not not a large platform and pins are hard to replace. Rode mine for about 4 years and eventually replaced em...more for cosmetic reasons than anything else

Good idea to have flats for commuting?

Thanks to this forum's flat pedallers :thumbup: , I replaced the standard pedals on my bike with a pair of Giants (~R400) and even though I'm still riding with a well worn pair of HiTec hiking shoes, the difference in grip was enormous.

The next question is (sorry to hijack the thread, but seems relevant):

Which shoes can you get locally, and where? Or should I just order Five Ten's from CRC, and if so, what the difference between FreeRider, Impact, etc?

Don't order shoes from CRC you'll get Klapped with minimum 40% import duty.

Loads of 5.10 available in RSA (Dial'd Bikes is one place).

Your other option are the Specialized 2FO flat shoes from any Spaz dealer. I ride em and they're super nice although I'm not 100% safisfied with durability, but Spaz seems to have no issue replacing them if necessary.

I was a convert some time ago after reading the Bike James article and advice from hubbers.

At first, it sucked, as i had been riding cleats for years and years but then after a few rides i started to get used to it and now loving the freedom.

I feel more confident in that i can put my foot where i want it and if i get something wrong i put a foot out and its sorted or at least less problematic if that makes sense.

The only way to know is to get some flats and shoes amd give it a try but you must do it for a couple rides to get the feel for it.

Agree.

I think Bike James recommended at least 12 rides to get used to flats, although it took me less than that.

And you must get the right shoes and pedals. Those bear cage things and running shoes are not going to cut it. You don't even have to break the bank. I waited for Saints to go on special from CWC, and got a pair of Hi-tec Figaros with Vibram soles for R400. Even with that combo I seem to have enough grip on the pedal (with the correct technique)

Agree.

I think Bike James recommended at least 12 rides to get used to flats, although it took me less than that.

And you must get the right shoes and pedals. Those bear cage things and running shoes are not going to cut it. You don't even have to break the bank. I waited for Saints to go on special from CWC, and got a pair of Hi-tec Figaros with Vibram soles for R400. Even with that combo I seem to have enough grip on the pedal (with the correct technique)

About the shoes... I've no problem with grip, but are those Hi-Tecs' soles harder? It feels like my foot is under pressure just behind the toes, and in the middle (where the pedal cage sits).

Edited by rickus_viljoen

I started with old mongoose flat pedals that were worn but soon noved over to Saints amd some skate shoes...huge difference in grip and that gave more confidence.

Its definalty something everyone should try.

I can manuel, spronk (lol) and a small bumny hop now....still need to refine those moves

About the shoes... I've no problem with grip, but are those Hi-Tecs' soles harder? It feels like my foot is under pressure just behind the toes, and in the middle (where the pedal cage sits).

I can't say for sure, as I have never tried 5-10s, 2FOs etc. but the Hi-Tecs are probably not as stiff as dedicated flat shoes, but probably stiffer than the running shoes you are using.

I'm not sure what else could be causing the numbness in your foot. I think I read somewhere that smaller platform pedals can cause numbness due to the small toe not being placed on the pedal, but off the edge and that causes a pressure point???? Or something like that.

There was some discussion about them here 

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/143140-flat-pedal-shoes-other-than-five-ten/?hl=flat+pedal+shoes

Edited by Piston ZA

Try shifting your feet up a bit, or forwards. I think its also got to do with the shoes you have. I ride with a pair of vans I use to skate with and they are super sticky. You need a shoe with a flat surface, 

Has anyone tried the FirstAscent free rider shoes? My xc shoes are on their last legs and was thinking of trying those free riders with the possibility of trying some flats to work on some skills but with the fallback of going back to my trail pedals if the flats don't work out?

Has anyone tried the FirstAscent free rider shoes? My xc shoes are on their last legs and was thinking of trying those free riders with the possibility of trying some flats to work on some skills but with the fallback of going back to my trail pedals if the flats don't work out?