Flat pedals

igg

2 hours ago, Steady Spin said:

Recently tried to resolve an issue with numb toes and ended up with three different pairs of shoes. Etnies, RC, Bontrager. 

The soles on all of them wear from the pins. I ride with OneUP and they have pretty long pins. I love the grip though. I've accepted that shows are a consumable now. If I get two or maybe three years out of a pair then I'm happy. My old 5.10 Impact Lows lasted about 8 years before they started falling apart. Hard to expect that again. 

Problem with Vans... the soles flex more than the R/$

@Thermophage knows of or has used a shoe repair shop in wynberg that resoles them.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, Steady Spin said:

Recently tried to resolve an issue with numb toes and ended up with three different pairs of shoes. Etnies, RC, Bontrager. 

The soles on all of them wear from the pins. I ride with OneUP and they have pretty long pins. I love the grip though. I've accepted that shows are a consumable now. If I get two or maybe three years out of a pair then I'm happy. My old 5.10 Impact Lows lasted about 8 years before they started falling apart. Hard to expect that again. 

Problem with Vans... the soles flex more than the R/$

Been eyeing a pair of oneups to replace my dmr's, quite pricey now though. Can't say the flex in the vans have been an issue for me, but in saying that, I've also never tried anything else that was made for flat pedals, so have no frame of reference 

13 hours ago, Eddy Gordo said:

@Thermophage knows of or has used a shoe repair shop in wynberg that resoles them.

The soles are still fine. Just needed the nose of the shoe to be stitched back in place. 

7 minutes ago, Steady Spin said:

The soles are still fine. Just needed the nose of the shoe to be stitched back in place. 

I am sure they can do this, maybe even any other shoe repair shop, like barksole. I know the shop in wynberg does a sole replacement similar to the 510's

I have been using five tens for over 10 years, excuse the pun lol. I have used so many different flat pedals i could write a book. You need to see which one works for you. I started on Giant ones, nice concave, but platform not that wide for my size 11 shoes. Tried Stamps, lekka wide, but flat, no concave, ended up with dmr v12's magnesium's, imported them, super lightweight and for the last few years working like a charm.

I bought new flatter pins on amazon, see pics, they not as aggressive and are a tad shorter. So far so good. I also find the five tens flex allot, my next shoes i would try out would be spaz flats, the sole is way stiffer, which i think will help more with numb toes, and that is a whole debate on its own. If i move my feet around every now and then i dont get the numb toes. The dmr pedals also sit further away from the crack so your foot is not hanging off the side. That was the problem with the giants, way to close, fine for small feet though. 

On a different note, decided to do some custom graphics on parts where i had mad scratches on the top tube. Did down tube, got off cuts of vps [similar] and covered them so now they are protected. Also did custom decals on the rims. Good luck with pedal and show testing.  

20210606_091631_resized.jpg

20210606_091643_resized.jpg

20210606_091658_resized.jpg

20210606_091719_resized.jpg

Spafsack just info ....

DMR V8 are also very flat, no concave.  Same dimensions as the basic Giant / Shimano / SRAM pedals.

This should fine for Maritz, but even his shoes use the full width of these pedals.

Fully agree any adult should consider flat pedals with a wider base.

Your input in the offset from the crank is noted, and certainly something I will consider for my next set ...

Hey guys I am looking flat pedals but one's that can clip in both sides for a mountain bike. I know Shimano had trail pedals like this a couple of years ago but can't seem to find them... Reason is commuting to work once or twice a week (5km) and then riding on weekends where I need normal pedals. Thank s

5 minutes ago, Zama7 said:

Hey guys I am looking flat pedals but one's that can clip in both sides for a mountain bike. I know Shimano had trail pedals like this a couple of years ago but can't seem to find them... Reason is commuting to work once or twice a week (5km) and then riding on weekends where I need normal pedals. Thank s

So one side flat and one side clipless? 

Look at the DMR Versa 

7 minutes ago, Zama7 said:

I think Specialized also have dual side pedals, I am sure I saw some at the one shop a while ago.

2 minutes ago, Zama7 said:

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Flat pedals are generally pedals that you can use with normal shoes (flat base - no cleats necessary), whereas pedals with clips are ones that you clip into with shoes that have a cleat underneath. Do you mean you're looking for pedals that have both, flat on one side and clip on the other?

Looking for pedals like the link above that you can clip in both sides but has a larger flat portion so you can ride semi comfortably using a normal shoe like for a short commute. I have used these ryders below but not great for a race when mud gets in you shoe you can only cleat in one side which sucks. 

https://solomonscycles.co.za/products/ryder-mtb-dual-2-0/?dTribesID=1gpkaHc5hCxGz1dYzluHVQl3ywMDJrXp|adtribes|39899&utm_source=Google Shopping&utm_campaign=Google Merch &utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=39899

Edited by Zama7

5 minutes ago, Zama7 said:

Looking for pedals like the link above that you can clip in both sides but has a larger flat portion so you can ride semi comfortably using a normal shoe like for a short commute. I have used these ryders below but not great for a race when mud gets in you shoe you can only cleat in one side which sucks. 

https://solomonscycles.co.za/products/ryder-mtb-dual-2-0/?dTribesID=1gpkaHc5hCxGz1dYzluHVQl3ywMDJrXp|adtribes|39899&utm_source=Google Shopping&utm_campaign=Google Merch &utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=39899

So you're looking for a clipless pedal in the flat pedals topic? 

If you want both sides to clip in get the Shimano Saint SPD - https://www.cyclelab.com/product/shimano-saint-pdm820-spd-pedals or DMR V-Twin

I own the Shimano Saints, and they're great, but still not comfortable to really ride without clipless shoes. The SPD sticks out, so you're always going to have that sitting above the flat base of the pedal. You can put pins in if you like, but not sure that will make much of a diff for flat shoe riding