Knee Injury

Good day Guys...

Hopefully someone here with some medical background or experience with knee injuries can help..

3 weeks ago with the Arabella Challenge i had an unplanned incident with a tree which resulted in my handlebar being snapped in two and me also hugging another tree and also hurting my right knee but not sure how exactly...

But here is the weird part for me... there where no cuts, marks, bruises or any of the sort visible on or around the knee area, nothing, not even swelling... But the moment i get on my bike there is pain on the outside of my right knee. So i stayed of my bike for a week as i initially thought it might just be a knock on the side of the knee... 7 days later on the bike to go and cycle, same thing, pain on the outside of the knee again. Made an appointment with the orthopedic doc and went to see him the Thursday...

Now, before saying what he said to me this is the weird part...

I can walk normally, i can bent my knee, i can even run and absolutely no pain, nothing

He examined me and said that it probably just bruising of the meniscus and that it should heal up in a couple of days with some rest.... which i did for another 7 days. Come last week friday i wanted to get a feel again... got on the bike after work and couldn't cycle 7km before the pain was back and i turned around.

I am going for a second opinion next week, but just wanted to share this to find out if anyone else ever had similar experience?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So - difficult to interpret this - you can walk around with no pain? but when you cycled, you initially had no pain and then developed a lateral pain after about 7km?

So you don't normally have pain, but only after a period of excercise?

Now, before saying what he said to me this is the weird part...

I can walk normally, i can bent my knee, i can even run and absolutely no pain, nothing

Everything screams ITBS (which I have now  :thumbdown: ) but you'll literally cry when you run.

Is the pain on your upper leg, lower leg or knee cap?

So - difficult to interpret this - you can walk around with no pain? but when you cycled, you initially had no pain and then developed a lateral pain after about 7km?

So you don't normally have pain, but only after a period of excercise?

Everything screams ITBS (which I have now  :thumbdown: ) but you'll literally cry when you run.

Is the pain on your upper leg, lower leg or knee cap?

Sorry, my explanation is probably not lekker...

I never had any pain before anywhere in my knees...

Only after the crash at Arabella... but only when i cycle i have pain on the outer side of my right knee, not the front of the knee cap.

But like i said, only when i cycle... but when i walk or run there is no pain.

Only after the crash at Arabella... but only when i cycle i have pain on the outer side of my right knee, not the front of the knee cap.

And how about when you squat?

And how about when you squat?

Haven't tried any weighted squats, but from standing shoulder width apart with my feet and just do a normal squat as if sitting down on a chair, that's all fine.

Go see an orthopedic surgeon if you are worried. 

I tore my ACL playing rugby a few months ago and only realised 2 months after the initial injury as i tried to self diagnose and go to my GP who also said it was bruised meniscus.

Went to the ortho, went for an MRI and came back with a 100% torn ACL.

More quesions - how long have you run for after the crash? more than 20min in a session?

Can you take a koki and mark the knee exactly where there is pain when cycling - take a photo and post it up.

I've got basically the same thing . Had to change my bike setup day 1 Sani after my seatpost snapped . Had almost no seatpost and sat very low . Had a long painful day . Changed seatpost , but on day 3 the pain hit me on the outside of my knee , I cried every with every pedal stroke for the final 25km's . What now ? Sorry for the hijack of your thread .

I've got basically the same thing . Had to change my bike setup day 1 Sani after my seatpost snapped . Had almost no seatpost and sat very low . Had a long painful day . Changed seatpost , but on day 3 the pain hit me on the outside of my knee , I cried every with every pedal stroke for the final 25km's . What now ? Sorry for the hijack of your thread .

You almost certainly have ITBFS - I posted the stretch you need to do somewhere - just search for my post - and ice your knee a couple of times a day for 15min or so, and do the stretch a couple of times a day as well - instructions in the post.

I'm not convinced it's ITB pain, as ITB pain usually comes on from repetitive action as the ITB rubs around the side of the knee. Yours sounds 100% like it's directly from the impact. I doubt you'd be able to run or do full squats with a properly torn ACL, but you may have torn it a bit - if you want to be 100% certain then have an MRI - but that's pricey.

I do think maybe 3 weeks isn't long enough for whatever has happened to heal up naturally though. I just had an arthroscopy 3 weeks ago where they cut out this piece of tissue that shouldn't have been there, which was causing friction in my knee - it's still very sensitive even though I can cycle again, my thinking is that it will take another month at least to feel 'normal' or pain free. So I figure give it more time and ice it - a mildly torn ligament will take at least 6 weeks to heal up. But also won't harm to do ITB type exercises - and foam rolling - will release the tension in your leg from compensating for pain in your knee.

Sounds like it isnt anything too serious but rather have it checked out.... I tore my ACL and mensicus which started with a slight tear, u dont wanna go down that route .... Go to a seasoned surgeon who can smell your knee and tell you what is wrong with it, there are one or two of them in CPT...

But for now R.I.C.E

But for now R.I.C.E

IMHO ,based on various injuries including ACL and MCL reconstructions, MEAT is a better protocol than RICE. way better.

IMHO ,based on various injuries including ACL and MCL reconstructions, MEAT is a better protocol than RICE. way better.

Saw an article on it the other day. They also suggest no icing and no anti inflammatories (just Google it), suggesting the former may help with relief but doesn't have long term benefits and the latter may only impede recovery. However, icing DIRECTLY after injury does show to speed up recovery. Movement is a good idea, but within limits of course. So more like R.I.C.E. + M.

Edited by Koei

More quesions - how long have you run for after the crash? more than 20min in a session?

Can you take a koki and mark the knee exactly where there is pain when cycling - take a photo and post it up.

I'll post a pic tonight with the koki marks...

after the crash i only did short runs like 3.5km which takes me 20-24min... fairly flat route as well. i must mention though that i only did 2 runs after the crash. didn't want to do more as i'm kind of afraid that i might worsen the problem...