• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Always wanted to give XCO a try and see what its like. So I've entered my son (10jr) and myself for Saturdays Bloemendal race.

Need some advice...never even attended a XCO race so don't have a clu what to expect.

Any advice on the Bloemendal course, is it very technical, big jumps, rock gardens etc...

How does the feed/ tech zone work... Do you put your stuff somewhere where you can find it or is it like a normal water point in an XCM race?

Thanks

You need somebody at the feed/tech zone to hand you the bottle, and you are responsible for your own feed and drink, although I do think you can put your stuff somewhere in your bag in the feed zone and then just help yourself.  There are various rules you will need to comply with, else you might get DQed. Normally they operate under UCI rules, so check that out.

I have heard that the Bloemendal course is quite technical with gap jumps and drops, but there is usually an A and B line at the very technical stuff.

It is hectic I tell you.  Your heart rate will be through the roof after the first lap.

BTW, what is your age?  If it is what I think it is, you might be doing 6 laps.

Edited by Moridin

You need somebody at the feed/tech zone to hand you the bottle, and you are responsible for your own feed and drink, although I do think you can put your stuff somewhere in your bag in the feed zone and then just help yourself.  There are various rules you will need to comply with, else you might get DQed. Normally they operate under UCI rules, so check that out.

I have heard that the Bloemendal course is quite technical with gap jumps and drops, but there is usually an A and B line at the very technical stuff.

It is hectic I tell you.  Your heart rate will be through the roof after the first lap.

BTW, what is your age?  If it is what I think it is, you might be doing 6 laps.

Thanks,will try and get hold of the rules.

I'm 37, sub vet, think its 5 laps

Always wanted to give XCO a try and see what its like. So I've entered my son (10jr) and myself for Saturdays Bloemendal race.

Need some advice...never even attended a XCO race so don't have a clu what to expect.

Any advice on the Bloemendal course, is it very technical, big jumps, rock gardens etc...

How does the feed/ tech zone work... Do you put your stuff somewhere where you can find it or is it like a normal water point in an XCM race?

Thanks

Hi Jorrie

The Bloemendal course is great and will be a good introduction to XC racing. There is some tech stuff but really nothing to be worried about. There will be B lines around anything too difficult.

The feedzone tech zone area is marked out and you can only take food / drink from this area. When your son races you give him bottles and when you race he does the same for you. Otherwise find a bud to do it for you. As it is your first XC, you can also just carry your water like you would for an marathon race. The races are only an hour and a half long, so dont worry to much about drinking and feeding for this one.

The XCO races are great fun. Good intensity training and good tech training.

I will see you on the start line.I will be in Pure Savage kit on a Swift bike, say hi.

Hey Jorrie,

The Bloemendal race circuit is BRILLIANT. There are jumps, small drops and doubles (rollable gap jumps, effectively) interspersed with a couple of rock gardens and plenty berms. 

EVERYTHING has an A / B / C line, and it's all very new and very well built. There is only one "Big" jump, and you can't miss it. It's at the top end of the course, and it's out of a berm where you need to carry your speed and STILL pedal in order to carry enough speed for the jump. Gap is about a bike length, but it's still intimidating. There's a LEKKER little rock garden as the B line, which you can just hang back and blast through with not a worry in the world if you have enough speed.

The only 2 places I'd consider warning you about are:

1st drop section (raised) - the biggest one on the right has a raised rock just before the crest, that if you don't hit properly will try and buck you. They are ALL rollable though, so there's no issue if you want to ride it a few times just to get used to it.

2nd section - Right at the bottom there's a section of woops (doubles & jumps) that are in a walled hollow. It's not that section itself, rather the exit. The woops are about 8-10m wide a the widest section, but the exit narrows to 1.5-2m wide and is over a wooden structure. So you MUST hold the centre line going out of the woop section, otherwise you will not make the exit. 

Otherwise - all the other jumps are fun and doable. No angry wheel ending jumps unless you do something HORRIBLY wrong. I wouldn't rate it as technical as Coetzenburg, tbh. But I'm going to be there in the later sections of the day to watch all and sundry. 

Oh - if you're not sure of a section, don't worry. As I said - ALL technical sections have A/B/C lines. 

After supporting riders in the tech zone during the Cup Series this season, I've finally plucked up the courage and entered. I'll see you all there (assuming I survive practice).

How many laps, Nick? How many are you planning on completing before getting pulled? I know I'd barely last 2 or 3. If that. 

How many laps, Nick? How many are you planning on completing before getting pulled? I know I'd barely last 2 or 3. If that. 

I think I'm down for 5 laps in sub vet. I'll consider it a success if I manage 4 laps.

I think I'm down for 5 laps in sub vet. I'll consider it a success if I manage 4 laps.

i'll try and look for you and egg you on a bit... And yeah - Sub Vet. 

Edited by Myles Mayhew

Guys remember that the WP series is not as serious as some make it out to be. In the last 3 years they have never applied the 80% rule and I have never seen someone pulled off the course, or received a penalty for a rule infringement for feeding etc.

Come out and have a good time, the riding is always lots of fun.

Myles, can I ask you something, as you know those trails.

Is it normally a puncture fest there? I had quite a few on Saturday and Sunday. Was I just unlucky or is that normal there?

Guys remember that the WP series is not as serious as some make it out to be. In the last 3 years they have never applied the 80% rule and I have never seen someone pulled off the course, or received a penalty for a rule infringement for feeding etc.

Come out and have a good time, the riding is always lots of fun.

So I might have to do all 5 laps?  :o

Myles, can I ask you something, as you know those trails.

Is it normally a puncture fest there? I had quite a few on Saturday and Sunday. Was I just unlucky or is that normal there?

There's a short spurt through vineyards and thorns are plenty and the rock gardens will probably claim a tyre or two. I'd suggest ensuring your sealant is topped up and don't take your tyre pressure too low ottherwise you may damage a rim.

There's a short spurt through vineyards and thorns are plenty and the rock gardens will probably claim a tyre or two. I'd suggest ensuring your sealant is topped up and don't take your tyre pressure too low ottherwise you may damage a rim.

Thanks. I definitely fell victim to the rocks on Saturday, they seem very sharp. I will be topping up the sealant for sure!