Junior squad selected for 2016 European Tour

News bot

Seems like another selection farce. What's new?

The riders were selected based on their local performances so far this year, particularly taking into account their results from the 2016 South African National Road Championships, as well as their performances at the recently hosted Junior Selection Races that were held in Pietermaritzburg from 6-8 May. The National Selectors were present and selections were made based on race performances and race results, with every aspect of the racing being monitored by the Selectors.

Uhm, no?  :thumbdown:

So they had selection races in Pietermaritzburg 2 weeks ago with the idea to select the teams. Then they almost ignore those results and say they mainly used SA's which were 3 months ago as the selection criteria. Then why hold selection races ???

So youngsters who has good results at the selection races don't get selected.

I think it's a cop out to select who you actually want and not based on form or the selection races as was the plan.

Someone who had form 3 months ago is irrelevant now !!

So they had selection races in Pietermaritzburg 2 weeks ago with the idea to select the teams. Then they almost ignore those results and say they mainly used SA's which were 3 months ago as the selection criteria. Then why hold selection races ???

I think it's a cop out to select who you actually want and not based on form or the selection races as was the plan.

They even selected someone who wasn't at the "selection" race.

They even selected someone who wasn't at the "selection" race.

Would love to hear the reasoning behind this. Why bother with selection race. Costs everyone money and CSA profits from entry fees.

who's paying the travelling / accommodation etc.. ?

If like any other selection then the parents. You get a letter saying well done you are selected, and then are responsible for all your own costs, even SA kit !!

Would love to hear the reasoning behind this. Why bother with selection race. Costs everyone money and CSA profits from entry fees.

That's not the case, due to the event was held at a uci Paralympic World Cup, and was purely for selection purposes on how the riders race more than the podiums that they claimed. You can't choose riders purely on podiums if the case is that they sit in the bunch and win a sprint with a modest pace, while in the eu the pace will be much faster and the race will be harder and this rider will not finish as he another rider who knows how to race and is able to make the racing showing that he had the experience and expertise to do so. And they did not benefit from entries as the entries were R100 and there were only +- 40 riders at the event, do the math when you have to pay for 6 officials to fly over plus all other fees.

Another thing is that it was not purely done on selection race and local events. Other factors are taken into play as well as pdi riders

This is why we are loosing all of our top sporting athletes to other countries.

I know of a young guy who did these races and came in within the top 5 and has been in the top finishers for the last year in the U18 age group nationally, he did not get the call up. None of us know why... why bother to have a selection race when the results are irrelevant?

I would love to see him move on to greener pastures next year as he finishes school this year.

That's not new. SACF / CSA beeen doing it for decades.

I remember a kid finising 2nd on the Junior Tour after having a load of good results on inter-provincials and even some of the big timed races, not getting a call up.

Lots of talent that never got a crack to show the world what they're capable of.

Edited by BeegMig