Knocked up and cycling..

I found out recently I am pregnant and really don't want to quit now and get completely unfit and have to start at square 1 in 8 months or so... My doctor said it is fine to keep going 'moderately', no more than 70% of my max. heart rate. That would mean strolling at 140bpm, and since it doesn't take much effort to get there, it feels rather on the 'easy' side than to the moderate side. 

I am planning to get at least an hour a day in outside on the MTB (only on the tar road and easy gravel, nothing dangerous), and once I get too top-heavy to continue on my indoor trainer.

Are there any lady hubbers who kept on cycling right through their pregnancy? At what intensity did you keep cycling? How did it work out for you?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I found out recently I am pregnant and really don't want to quit now and get completely unfit and have to start at square 1 in 8 months or so... My doctor said it is fine to keep going 'moderately', no more than 70% of my max. heart rate. That would mean strolling at 140bpm, and since it doesn't take much effort to get there, it feels rather on the 'easy' side than to the moderate side. 

I am planning to get at least an hour a day in outside on the MTB (only on the tar road and easy gravel, nothing dangerous), and once I get too top-heavy to continue on my indoor trainer.

Are there any lady hubbers who kept on cycling right through their pregnancy? At what intensity did you keep cycling? How did it work out for you?

Not cycling, but squash and running for my wife. Okay - she also rode every so often, but not nearly as much as squash & running.

She plays 1st league WP squash, and was on the court (and getting her HR up to 80/90% when she could) as often as possible. Exercise is GOOD for the baby, as long as it doesn't become uncomfortable for you. That 70% is nonsense unless there are underlying health problems that you need to keep an eye on. 

fabes will know all about this, not because he was pregnant :lol: , but because I believe his wife is an expert at riding up till her last day... and she is a good rider too I believe..

hydrate more too - pregnant woman has a higher chance of getting blood clots and if you dehydrated even more so.

My wife kept going until she was uncomfortable on a bike. Carried on running until 8 months too.

We had a text book birth and a very healthy, happy baby.

Edited by cbdcaffie

I continued riding (horses and bikes), was a spinning instructor and only in the last trimester months did Dr say to me to stay in the 70% zone. I was also an older mom to be (35) so I listened. Congrats the easy part is while the baby is still "contained". :thumbup:

I am not going to offer any advice.  I only started riding after I had babies and during my pregnancies I endulged all my cravings and got fat. Very fat. :)

Congratulations on your pregnancy.  You will be a hot momma when your baby comes and be back in shape in no time :thumbup:

Edited by blondeonabike

"Knocked up"  - no, not so lekker.

"I am with child" would have sounded better?  No?

Thank you for the positive input and providing the info I requested. 

I will change the topic to "Ek is in die ander tyd en ek wil fietsry" if that offends you less! 

I will change the topic to "Ek is in die ander tyd en ek wil fietsry" if that offends you less! 

Here on the Hub your will never satisfy them all......it's a real knocked up scenario......

My Dr. said I could continue with everything my body was used too.

Still ran 5km's the day before my daughter came.

I would say as long as you feel safe and comfortable, go for it.

Enjoy the pregnancy. :clap:

Not offended in the least and I sincerely hope I did not offend you?

^_^

"I am with child"......the 19th Century called, they want their expression back

I thought the cool kids all say 'we're pregnant' - damn I can't keep up ....