Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

Hey Guys

Yes, an odd request.

I am busy getting things together to build a table and I would like to use mortise and tenon joints.

However - double pin marking gauges start at R900. A plastic single pin costs R80.

DO any of you have one in your possession that you would be prepared to let me use for the length of my project, or perhaps even donate, or let me buy ?

In case you are wondering, this is what they look like.

post-2696-0-65725700-1463686662_thumb.jpg

post-2696-0-11351900-1463686743_thumb.jpg

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Guys

Yes, an odd request.

I am busy getting things together to build a table and I would like to use mortise and tenon joints.

However - double pin marking gauges start at R900. A plastic single pin costs R80.

DO any of you have one in your possession that you would be prepared to let me use for the length of my project, or perhaps even donate, or let me buy ?

attachicon.gifJSDFOO1876-mark-gauge-lg.jpg

attachicon.gifrosewood-gauge6-larger.jpg

You may be in luck, where abouts are you? 

I will ask my dad to see if he can dig it out and you welcome to borrow it for the length of the project! 

I am in somerset west, but will gladly pay postage and pay by means of fermented gifts of your or your dads choice!

I will let you know tomorrow, I am sure I saw it lurking the other day! 

So great to see someone still doing stuff like that. B.t,w. if you find one of those brass & hardwood ones for R900 buy it immediately. Afterwards, have it box framed for your study! Seriously, tools like that are becoming impossible to find and they are so beautiful. Check your local flea market, there are always one or 2 stalls selling old hand tools. You will find one sooner or later.

Edited by DJR

I love old school woodwork. Photos please Slowbee.

I am planning on doing skirting boards, architraves and wooden window sills (reclaimed from old building) soon.

Been checking out some u-toob vids on the correct way of doing skirtings. Corners aren't just 45deg cuts - much more to it than that.

Hey guys,

When I read the topic of this thread, I could not believe what I saw. Gee wizz I had forgotten those things exist.

Good on you Slowbee. Great pastime and so gratifying.

Enjoy

Sarge

my old man has one that I inherited when they moved out of their house to the waiting paddocks..will look after it after reading this

I love old school woodwork. Photos please Slowbee.

I am planning on doing skirting boards, architraves and wooden window sills (reclaimed from old building) soon.

Been checking out some u-toob vids on the correct way of doing skirtings. Corners aren't just 45deg cuts - much more to it than that.

If you love old skool hand tools and woodworking, check out Patrick's Blood and Gore.

http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan0a.html

Man, sometimes I wished I lived in the US.  So much more woodworking history there. That and the fact that I can buy as many rifles as I want to.  :whistling:

Edited by Moridin

this brings back good memories of wood work at school.

I really wish I had a decent garage with space for proper wood working equipment and space to actually work. A pity though that wood is also getting more and more expensive

this brings back good memories of wood work at school.

I really wish I had a decent garage with space for proper wood working equipment and space to actually work. A pity though that wood is also getting more and more expensive

Buy the good tools now and lock them away for when you one day have a chance to do this.  Trust me, good hand tools are an investment.  You don't want to know how rare and expensive good hand tools are these days, new or old.  Just check out how much you will need to invest for a good bench with main and end vices.

Edited by Moridin

Try finding a good quality (not made in China) block plane for under R1600...

Please if one of you kind hubbers have an old rusty one lying around I'll gladly pay for it as long as China was not the country of birth.

Thanks for allowing me to hi-jack your thread for a moment Slowbee

PS: I have dubbelpen kruishout, but not for sale though

Hey Guys

Yes, an odd request.

attachicon.gifJSDFOO1876-mark-gauge-lg.jpg

attachicon.gifrosewood-gauge6-larger.jpg

Do you have a router?

The M&T's can be made with a simple jig?