Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah my father started buying new machinery a good few years before he retired (to replace his quite old inherited machinery)  

He now has a workshop that is pretty epic.. he bought the best he could

If you love old skool hand tools and woodworking, check out Patrick's Blood and Gore.

http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan0a.html

Man, sometimes I wished I lived in the US.  So much more woodworking history there. That and the fact that I can buy as many rifles as I want to.  :whistling:

I've got one of these

http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/2.jpg

I've got one of these

http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/2.jpg

Same. 

Need to refurbish it as it lost its oiled sock somewhere along the way, and was exposed to fresh air and a bit of moisture. 

Try finding a good quality (not made in China) block plane for under R1600...

Please if one of you kind hubbers have an old rusty one lying around I'll gladly pay for it as long as China was not the country of birth.

Thanks for allowing me to hi-jack your thread for a moment Slowbee

PS: I have dubbelpen kruishout, but not for sale though

Do what I did.  I hit some of the Cash Crusaders and other shops.  You would be amazed what you can find, and sometimes horrified.  I found quite a few good old rusty ones that I restored.  I replaced the blades with blades that I bought at Lee Valley.  Some treasures I found were a US made Bailey No 4 that dates from the late 30s still in it's cardboard box and a Disston Tenon Saw that dates from the 40s.

Some of my horrified finds were a Bailey No 7 from the 60s that were used as a hammer.  :cursing:

Edited by Moridin

You may be in luck, where abouts are you? 

I will ask my dad to see if he can dig it out and you welcome to borrow it for the length of the project! 

Nearly gave me a heart attack this Friday morning.

In my family this will lead to immediate whipping, disinheritance or divorce. 

Never lend another man's tools to a other.

A good thing that we all differ. 

Edited by No Hare

Do what I did.  I hit some of the Cash Crusaders and other shops.  You would be amazed what you can find, and sometimes horrified.  I found quite a few good old rusty ones that I restored.  I replaced the blades with blades that I bought at Lee Valley.  Some treasures a found are a US made Bailey No 4 that dates from the late 30s still in it's cardboard box and a Disston Tenon Saw that dates from the 40s.

Some of my horrified finds were a Bailey No 7 from the 60s that were used as a hammer.  :cursing:

NO!!!!

Oh - and Terry, if you're cutting them by hand you'll need a dovetail saw. Hardware Centre in CT (just opposite the civic centre) central stocks a couple of Japanese Dovetail Saws, which are the preferred type. They're not that expensive (R 400 or so) but they're EXTREMELY good. 

Nearly gave me a hard attack this Friday morning.

In my family this will lead to immediate whipping, disinheritance or divorce. 

Never lend another man's tools to a other.

A good thing that we all differ. 

I generally agree with that but seeing as Slowbee is an esteemed member and it is not a tool we have used very often although we do still want it... 

NO!!!!

Oh - and Terry, if you're cutting them by hand you'll need a dovetail saw. Hardware Centre in CT (just opposite the civic centre) central stocks a couple of Japanese Dovetail Saws, which are the preferred type. They're not that expensive (R 400 or so) but they're EXTREMELY good. 

I need one of those

I've got one of these

Same. 

Need to refurbish it as it lost its oiled sock somewhere along the way, and was exposed to fresh air and a bit of moisture. 

Me three